cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is data at reduced speeds useable ?

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

After one uses all of their allotted data at 5G or 4g plans at what speed is the unlimited data at reduced speeds. For example can one still do a simple google search or sent emails?

I did ask a similar question before and was advised that data would be reduced to 512kps - but what can you do with it?

5 REPLIES 5

eddieO

@Wayworn on my commute to work I sometimes take some back country roads (on the advice of my GPS of choice, Waze) and at times my signal strength drops to 3G and sometimes less. When that happens my GPS still works but streaming music freezes for several minutes at a time and it so annoying that I'd rather take a slightly longer route so that my music can continue without freezing. I guess it would depend on the person, if the freezing music doesn't bother you than maybe there a better deals out there but I think even 3G is going to go the way of the dinosaur as I think even PM no longer advertises plans at that speed

Wayworn

@slusagm wrote:

GPS does not use a lot of data, even with map download, but of course, it is better to download offline map ahead

for music, as long his not hd music, it's shouldn't be too bad.  A bit of buffering, but can tolerate 

Hey .... hey.... all this almost sounds too good to be true and makes me think that high data plans are just a waste of money. 

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

GPS does not use a lot of data, even with map download, but of course, it is better to download offline map ahead

for music, as long his not hd music, it's shouldn't be too bad.  A bit of buffering, but can tolerate 

eddieO

@slusagm should be okay if you are not doing too much, simple searches or GPS should work fine but if you try doing multiple things then forget it, for example GPS and music streaming, the GPS will likely work but music will freeze and forget about video

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

yes, it is not bad with 512kbps.  Definitely can google search and web browser and email. Light stream music could also be done.  Just avoid games and video streaming

Need Help? Let's chat.