cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a credit card required?

jerry124
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone, I'm a foreigner, so I don't have any bank account in Canada.

Under these circumstances, am I able to use public mobile service?

I went to a store, but a clerk said I couldn't use it without a Canada credit card.

Is that right?

I do not need autopay. I just want to use the monthly play.

9 REPLIES 9

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello,

Yes, you can buy the sim card at Walmart for instance. When you get home you would get the vouchers and load to the account. The activation screen will ask you if you have more vouchers to add. If you entered one and have more than one voucher then hit yes and keep entering them. Please keep in mind that some retailers have a delay when they issue the voucher activation. I had to wait about 30 minutes once when I got from Esso. From my experience, Walmart is the quickest. 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jerry124 Yes, you can... I think.., but let see what others will say… Woman Indifferent

jerry124

@matbasm wrote:

@jerry124, Once you get your vouchers, you can add them to your account under Payment | One Time Payment.  Just switch the payment method from CC to Voucher.

If I don't have an account right now, and I bought a new SIM without active. Can I active it online with vouchers?

matbasm

@jerry124, Once you get your vouchers, you can add them to your account under Payment | One Time Payment.  Just switch the payment method from CC to Voucher.

jerry124

@wetcoaster wrote:

@tzliuwrote:

@jerry124wrote:

I went to a store, but a clerk said I couldn't use it without a Canada credit card.

Is that right?

Have you tried to sign up online? I could be wrong but i think foreign credit card should work. Other wise you will have to use vouchers

The self serve system does not accept non-Canadian credit cards.

To sign up you need to get fixed denomination vouchers. Once you have an account you can use the type that loads the amount directly to your phone number.

Yep, the self serve system does not accept non-Canadian credit cards.

But can I use vouchers in the self serve system? And how should I do?

@jerry124

All you strictly need to signup with PM is a valid email address and enough cash to make your first full payment (through PM Payment Vouchers).  You don't need a credit card or bank account or Canadian citizenship.

You only need a valid credit card (which is assumed, but not strictly required, to be your own) if you signup for the AutoPay Reward.  It's not at all required, although it would save you $2 per 30 days or $6 per 90 days.  With AutoPay activated, payment will automatically be charged to the credit card every billing cycle - without AutoPay activated, you'll need to manually top up your PM Self-Serve account balance every billing cycle.

@tzliuwrote:

@jerry124wrote:

Is that right?

Have you tried to sign up online? I could be wrong but i think foreign credit card should work. Other wise you will have to use vouchers

The self serve system does not accept non-Canadian credit cards.

To sign up you need to get fixed denomination vouchers. Once you have an account you can use the type that loads the amount directly to your phone number.

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jerry124wrote:

Is that right?

LEGO

@jerry124 You can pay for your service with payment vouchers.

Please, read this topics "Where can I buy payment vouchers?": click here

"Payment Voucher Retailers": click here

"How do I make a payment with a payment voucher through Self Serve?": click here
"How do I make a payment with a payment voucher through the automated phone service?": click here

Need Help? Let's chat.