cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International texts

JPM1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

according to my plan I should be able receive and send international texts. This, however, doesn't seem to be the case. Can anybody help?

13 REPLIES 13

@JPM1  Something else to try if it happens again. 

When you have trouble sending or receiving SMS, it's possible that setting network to 3G and ”forcing" change of your SMS settings may solve the issue.  

1. Go to Settings
  2. Then go to Mobile networks and select a network other than Public Mobile, Telus, or Koodo
  3. When you exit the menu the phone should lose the network.
  4. Repeat the process and select Public Mobile as your mobile network.

This procedure will force the update of the message centre number. You can verify it in your message settings.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JPM1

I'm not getting anywhere with my request. I should have International Texting (when I'm in Canada) and don't. I know that people I'm texting have international plans and it's time the focus was on Public's service and NOT other providers. 

Basic question: If it is true that Public supports international texting while in Canada (as it's plan says), why is it not working for me!!!!

JPM1

I have the plan with 15GB at 4G plus unlimited Canada-wide talk and unlimited international text. I still have 12GB+ data left over

JPM1

My contact is in Switzerland. Could we test that?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JPM1 - if you have them saved as a contact, delete the contact completely.

Try texting by entering the number without using the contact in your device. Remember to check how to call this country with proper country codes, and Canada's exit code and such.

Did you do other device troubleshooting like:

• restart your phone
  • toggle into and out of airplane mode
  • perform a Reset of the device's Network Settings

@JPM1 wrote:

I can't say if the other person can text other numbers in Canada.

I'm using WIFI and IMessage works fine, just texting does not. Unfortunately I can't test my SIM in another phone.

@JPM1   if you are not sure they can reply to Canada for free, why not keep using iMessage (if they are on iPhone too)

or if you want to test SMS, tell us which country and we can tell you what number sequence to put in

JPM1

I can't say if the other person can text other numbers in Canada.

I'm using WIFI and IMessage works fine, just texting does not. Unfortunately I can't test my SIM in another phone.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JPM1 wrote:

and the person I'm trying to contact has international texting

@JPM1 have you tried another number in the same area as this person? If not, is there a way you can test this? To rule out which end the issue is on.

@JPM1  which plan do you have now?  you tried the international texting and the text didn't go through?

if so, which country you are texting to and which number sequence you put in?

JPM1

and the person I'm trying to contact has international texting

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

I have noticed you had another post over a month ago about this @JPM1 .

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/International-Texts/td-p/974885

Is the out of country person able to text others in Canada? If so, and they cannot text you, are you able to try your SIM card into another phone and see if the texting works?

Not sure if this is the issue (especially if you receive/send other texts normally) but both iMessage and Chat Features require a wifi connection or data to send/receive texts.

• if iMessage and you are out of data for your current cycle be sure to have SMS and MMS enabled in the settings of your device.
  • if you are using android and you use Chat Features, then I suggest you turn that off, as it requires wifi or data to send/receive texts.

Disable your Chat Features: 

1. Open Messages
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features
  3. Turn Enable chat features off

In your previous post did you inquire with CSA about this?

JPM1

I am in Canada

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JPM1 - Yes, you should be able to do this, only while you are in CANADA. Are you currently in Canada?

Remember the person you are trying to receive/send to must also have international texting abilities.

Need Help? Let's chat.