cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International roaming

Bcuz0f4reasons
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need my number to keep working in India for 2 months so I can receive important texts and calls. Please help. 

16 REPLIES 16

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Ok I tried one. SMS Forwarder in the Play store.

Installed on a phone. Set one "filter" to forward everything to my TextNow number. Sent a text from another phone to the phone with that app installed. Came to the phones default texting app and then showed up on TextNow. Stored in the two places. Works.

There are a few other apps.

Adding - I am not endorsing this app. Just a proof of concept.

@Timer- You know how I'm often commenting with you that you don't seem to be reading and comprehending things. Asked and answered.

@dust2dust 

how and which app you did use it.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Timer- Public themselves do not have a method to forward texts. But apps do. That's the context of those replies.

I haven't tested any for myself and I don't remember them being mentioned here. I know the idea has been mentioned here on many occasions but I haven't looked it up as it's not something I've cared enough to look at.

I didn't say one app would forward calls and texts. It's 2 parts. The call forwarding is easy. That can be done in the dialer app or using dial codes. Text forwarding needs an app.

@dust2dust 

why you call challenging you for what i will do that .. my my intent need to know the right info when i reading about other they saying not allowed forward text SMS.. and your poster (and use an app to forward texts too) so which app and how...is allowed to forward Call and SMS at same time?
i show you those link to you know where i did reading i'm not asking about them is right answer or wrong...

The first link...yup, that's right, in answering the question.
The second one...yup, even that user suggested leaving the sim at home.
The third one...yup, yet again the user suggesting leaving the phone at home.
The fourth one...yup, that's right, in answering the question.

Leaving the sim? Why not? It's useless elsewhere other than the states.

I'm not sure of what your intent is here. My sense of your tone is you're challenging me. Ok.
Calls can be forwarded to a Canadian number and then the phone can be turned off. That Canadian number can be from a voip app.
Texts are trickier by needing an app, in a phone, with the sim, on, not in airplane mode, being kept charged, in Canada.

This customer asked about using Public in India. I said no. Just like you. I went on to offer alternatives for his question about calls and texts. You also suggested the calling alternative. But you went into misinformation by saying "do forward calls from your phone to new number. but you have to leave the sim card in device in canada". This is not correct. Once the phone has set forwarding, it can be turned off or taken out of country whatever....except don't let it connect to a US tower as it will break forwarding. You went on to say "but for SMS not forward, just a call" where I interpreted that as saying one can't forward texts. Yes you can. With an app. As outlined above.

Having a quick search in the Play store for "text forwarding" finds lots of results.

@dust2dust 

review those link no one say about forward Text SMS, also leave your PM sim in another phone in Canada?

by @Dunkman  >  Call forwarding

------

by @NDesai  >  Travel outside

----

by @Dunkman  >  Receiving call forwarding

--------

by @Dunkman  >  Can I use forward calls

-----

confused.which other post name app?

@Timer- TextNow seems to be mentioned a lot around here. There are others. Of course you can forward a call to the voip app. The text forwarding I've never tried or explored. I would assume it relays the text it received on the home phone out as a text to the voip number. Maybe I'll play with one one day. Maybe you can too. I've certainly read about the idea around here by others though.

@dust2dust 

which voip app? and for Forwarding allowed to get Call and SMS.

@Timer- Forwarding the number just needs to be done once using the standard dialer. The text forwarding needs an app on the phone that stays behind with the sim in. They can use whatever phone with this sim in it running the text forwarding app.

The phone they take out of country can do whatever it likes, if any, locally, but they'd want to have the internet so that the voip app can receive those forwarded calls and texts. Then they can also call and text back. If their voip app can spoof their proper number then even better. When not connected to the internet the caller can leave a voicemail and the texts would queue up ready to be delivered. Connect to the internet and it will say there's a voicemail and the texts will appear.

So one app on the phone left behind to forward texts. One app on the phone with you to receive and send calls and texts.

@dust2dust 

how many app they need 2 one for call other one for sms?

I see. they also needs texts working

@Timer wrote:

you can  Download the TextNow App  and get new number from that app free and do forward calls from your phone to new number. but you have to leave the sim card in device in canada. as mention by @dust2dust  but for SMS not forward, just a call.

@Timer- This is not entirely right. Once a phone has set call forwarding, the phone can be turned off or the sim can be taken out of country.

As for forwarding text, no, TextNow would not do that. But you can get a text forwarding app and THEN you need to leave the sim in a phone on and kept charged and in Canada.

is that for sure one needs to leave the sim card in a powered device? I used to forward a prepaid SIM to another prepaid SIM and never had to leave it in a powered on device

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Bcuz0f4reasons 

no international roaming. PM offer just for U.S.

you can  Download the TextNow App  and get new number from that app free and do forward calls from your phone to new number. but you have to leave the sim card in device in canada. as mention by @dust2dust  but for SMS not forward, just a call.

or when you get the new number from that app and use by Wi-Fi and give it to who contact you for the new number.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Not possible. You could use a voip app and forward calls from your phone to the voip number. You could leave the sim in a phone at home and on and kept charged up and use an app to forward texts too.

But Public offers no services for use in India.

Need Help? Let's chat.