cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPad data

beth1791
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just purchased a new iPad that has a cellular sim slot. I know Public doesn’t offer data only plans so I’m trying to figure out how to best use my tablet on the go. Can I switch my SIM card from my phone to my iPad when needed? Or would it be easier to hotspot from my phone? I’m looking into other companies to see if they offer a data only option. Thanks 🙂

7 REPLIES 7

Tomski

I had a similar issue and here is what I did:
1. I bought a Koodo SIM card and data plan since Koodo offers plans for tablets. 

2. THen I bought a Public Mobile SIM card.

3. Now that I had a Koodo cell phone number, I transferred my number to Public Mobile and got the 20 GB data plan. 

4. Cancelled Koodo account.

5. Works great!

However: I work on the road a lot and there are a few things I can’t do on the iPad and I need to set up a hotspot on the iPad so I can go online on the laptop via the iPad - I will post about this soon as I can’t figure it out.

Cheers and thanks everybody who is posting with solutions here!

Andreas.

beth1791

Thank you for your help everyone. I’m going to switch to a plan with more data during the months I’m working away from home and hotspot from my phone.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@beth1791 

You can also wait for the next bonus referral credit promotion and refer yourself and activate a "data" account (albeit w/calling and texting) choosing the plan with the appropriate plan data for your needs.

You can suspend for up to 89/90 days when not needed and time one of your reactivations for sometime in December for the free holiday gifts of 500 international minutes and 2gb data add on (+ an extra 1gb data add on for points customers).

You will earn 3xpoints for the first 12 months and can redeem them for discounted data add ons ($10/1gb vs $15/1gb). There are several members that have "data" accounts in addition to their regular account.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@beth1791 , using the SIM in the iPad is possible.  I would say that big loss is that the iPad is not a phone and so there would be loss of functionality (voice calls).  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @beth1791 you can switch sim card when needed.  But best to setup hotspot on phone and enable hotspot when you need 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I wouldn't put the wear and tear on the sim slots and sim. Just hotspot off your phone. If the ipad has the option, be sure to tell it that the connection is metered so as not to let it use more data than it should.

Need Help? Let's chat.