cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can publicmobile.ca get rid of the misspelt malicious domain name: publicmobile.ca minus the "e"?

walterb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I inadvertently omitted the "e" in the domain name publicmobile.ca when I enteredt the url to register my public mobile account.

I was dismayed to be redirected to the malicious and probably dangerous website: d3uwtcsdtcsivl.cloudfront.net/ etc........
that displayed a "scary" blue screen warning with this message:
----------------------------
MS WINDOWS DEFENDER - Warning Alert System
** ACESS HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR SECURITY REASONS AND FOR THE SAFETY"
Your System has alerted us that it has been infected with Spyware Issues.
The following data has been Breached.
Security Services
App: Ads.fiancetrace(2).dll
Thread Detected: Trojan Spyware
Access has been blocked for security reasons and for Safety.
Call Windows Security Toll Free: 1+844-745-5800
------------------------------------------------------

Can public mobile or someone, get rid of  this website that is most likely dangerous? I am sure I am not the only one who has landed there.

A quick "whois" inspection shows that someone owns this domain, but they don't want you to know who it is. "Personal information about the holder of this domain name is not available in the search results because the registration is privacy protected"

6 REPLIES 6

There's countless permutations for misspelling words. It's not really reasonable to fill up your computer with every possible permutation you could think of. Just like it's not really reasonable to fill up your phone with a list of every known spammer number in the world.

An easy fix in most browsers is to manually type in the full address of the proper site. https://publicmobile.ca then hit return. Do it over and over again, a few times, more times than you typed in the bad address, and it will move up to the top of the list when the browser autocomplete/autosuggest fills it in for you.

Or just make a bookmark, favourite, shortcut. Something you can open with no typing, just a single click.

If you bump into a malicious site (or you receive a spam call) then just block it. If it's a common mistake you somehow keep making exactly the same way then this solves your problem completely. If you keep making the same mistake in differing details then there's really nothing you can do aside from fixing it on an ad hoc as-it-happens basis.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

If you are on windows and want to protect yourself from your own misspelling, on a windows machine you can add that domain name to the hosts file so that it always directs to a dead end... The file is in:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

edit the file with notepad as an administrator, and add this line:

127.0.0.1   publicmobil.ca

127.0.0.1   www.publicmobil.ca

and whatever other permutations you wish...

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This is not a Get support topic. Public has no control over the rest of the internet. There are lots of nasty scary sites out there. Like Faux Nonews. It looks like Windows did its job. Welcome to the real world.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The domain is property owned by someone else. The only way to deal with it is to negotiate with the owner or to challenge the owner in court.

I think the only direct action Public Mobile could do (through Telus) is blacklist this specific phishing/malware/scammer site on all Telus-owned Telus-operated DNS machinery.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I’m not sure how Public Mobile is going to police the internet for stuff like this. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@walterb I guess PM/Telus wants to do that as much as you for the same reason.  However, the domain is already purchased by someone, likely scammer buying it for this reason.

So, sorry, not something PM can do

Need Help? Let's chat.