cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will be travelling to several countries. Should I get my phone unlocked, buy SIM cards abroad?

leelaacharya
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Also, will I need a micro or nano format of SIM for my Moto G phone? Do I continue to pay for my monthly plan while abroad?

19 REPLIES 19

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Yes, your phone is locked to Public Mobile. The company charges $50 for unlocking. I strongly suggest that you use an unlocking service, instead. The one at www.cellunlocker.net has a very good reputation.

As Canconsumer said, keep your plan. You can go 90 days from a due date without making a payment, and still keep your plan and phone number. On the 91st day, your profile is wiped from the computer system as if you were never a customer. Do not wait until the 90th day to make a payment because, if something goes wrong, you will not have sufficient time to rectify the problem, and your account will be deleted as described above. Make payment on the 85th day at the latest, so that, if there is a problem, you will have adequate time in order to have it resolved.

With regard to point 3 above, I beg to differ. I have 2 first-generation Moto G phones, and both have 2G and 3G modes. For instance, my Moto G, if unlocked, could function on Rogers' 2G legacy network, eventually to be phased out.

Have a very safe and enjoyable trip!

leelaacharya

I purchased it at Public Mobile in downtown Toronto. I imagine it is locked?

Canconsumer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Depends what countries exactly and how long but I assume Asia, and have used Telestial and NTT DoCoMo Japan before. So...

1) Check out example links - watch data prices and check WiFi maps and hotel access where you go.

http://service.ocn.ne.jp/mobile/one/visitor/en/

http://www.telestial.com/sim_regional.php?ID=AS

http://www.onesimcard.com/international-sim-card/

Airport kiosks can also have local SIMs just check travel blogs or search.

2) Keep your plan.  Especially older ones!

3) Your Moto G is a 3G phone, but has decent support for several bands at Asian carriers.  Some countries there use different LTE bands anyhow so a newer north american phone can be dropping to 3G in many cases.  Yours supports:

2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G bands

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php

4) Your phone uses Micro SIM cards.  If you end up with a Nano somehow you will need an adaptor to slot it into your Moto.  A local retailer or eBay for a few dollars you are ready to travel.

Have a safe trip.  Next trip PM will have a great international roaming plan for you let's hope!

leelaacharya

I am travelling to Fiji, Japan, Australia, India, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, Greece, Spain, Malta. I have a Moto G first generation I think. The box definitely does not say second or third generation so I assume it must be first gen. Can you also tell me if it is 3G? Sorry for my multiple posts with the same questions!

leelaacharya

One of the travel guides I am reading about Japan asks me to check if my phone is 3G and if I will need a nano or beta sim card. I have not heard micro sim card yet. Would you happen to know if I need nano or beta? 

leelaacharya

Right, so whichever countries I go to I purchase SIM cards there and load them in my Moto G? Is it as simple as that?

leelaacharya

Thanks for the response that I ought to use iRoam but I see it is for use in the U.S., Canada and Mexico only. I have more questions:

1)Can you suggest any other provider since I am going to other countries as listed in my subject?

2) I need some direction about my present plan with Public Mobile. Do I keep paying my plan and tap in to wifi abroad and purchase SIM cards in the countries I am travelling to? What have others done please?

3) Is my Moto G (first generation) a 3G model phone?

4) I am being asked whether I need a beta or nano SIM card in Japan. Can anyone answer this please?

thanks again.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I read the BBB summary of complaints about iroam.

I suggest www.roammobility.com instead.

FYI.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

You could also buy a world sim from iRoam; http://iroam.com. Likely not the cheapest way, especially for data, but convenient.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^Yes absolutely your phone can work on those frequencies but those frequencies are not used in North America

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi chuk,

This is news to me. You're saying that my Moto G phones (one locked to PM, and the other to Telus) can function on 900 MHz and 1800 MHz though there was nothing on the packaging to indicate that?? In effect, I have a semi-world phone?

chukdefatey
Her Moto G will function because it has those frequencies I listed. The frequency you mentioned are only only used in North America. With the execption of 2G & 3G on 850Mhz which is used in some countries in South America and in Australia

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

Are you saying that, outside North America, there is not even ONE country where her Moto G can function?

The OP never said which countries she was going to visit.

chukdefatey
^If she is traveling out of North America then the info you provided is in correct, she needs a Phone that supports the frequency of 2G 900 & or 1800Mhz and for 3G she needs a Phone that supports 2100Mhz (This is not the same 2100Mhz that people reference along with 1700Mhz) 2100Mhz used in Europe and Asia is complete separate band from the one that gets referred along with 1700Mhz band used in North America.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

When you land in your first port of entry, there should be kiosks selling SIM cards from the carriers in that country. Since not all carriers transmit on identical frequencies, I strongly advise you to google the carriers before leaving Canada.

You need a carrier that transmits on the 3G 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies. Just in case you have a Moto G which is 4G capable, you want a carrier transmitting on the 4G LTE 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello again,

If your phone is locked to a carrier, it requires unlocking, and I suggest that you use the services of www.cellunlocker.net which has received many positive comments from its customers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

If your Moto G was produced for the Canadian market, it definitely requires a micro SIM card, whether in Canada or while overseas.

chukdefatey
@leelaacharya, Lucky you 'Where countries are you visiting' Keep in mind though your Public Mobile Sim is not going to work while you are out of Canada.

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@leelaacharya,

Public Mobile is a prepaid service and they do not offer ROAMING outside Canada.

You can stop your payment for a maximum of 90 days before your account and phone number are deleted.

Where did you purchase your Moto G ?

If it's factory unlocked, you're good. Else, you will have to buy an IMEI unlock code to use a SIM card from another carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.