cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm one of 3 guys in Canada without a cell phone... is this the place to be?

bcsteeve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ok, stop laughing.  

I'm cheap, what can I say?  I've always figured people were insane to pay what they pay for a cell phone.  We get screwed here in Canada.  We all know it, but somehow I'm the only one that didn't jump on board.

Then I see this $40/mo deal and it seems much better than I've seen whenever I've looked before.

First thing I do is ask my friends if they think its a good deal.  To my surprise, they were all "meh" about it.  Isn't it a really good deal??

One of my friends breaks it down for me like this:

He pays $140/mo for two lines and that includes a Pixel XL phone for him and a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for his wife (they got the phones at offset times).  They have 6GB to share each month, NA calling, Global text.  To me, $140 seems crazy... but is it?  Over 2 years (contract to get the phone) that comes to $3360.  They also got $300 as a cash card at Costco so that's $3060.  I'd have to get two of these promo plans which over 2 years comes to $1920.  A difference of $1140.  That's a lot, sure, but what are those phones worth?  Google tells me roughly $1800.  Ie. he has a much better deal, assuming you want the high end phone.

Am I missing something?  Is he not telling me the whole story (maybe I misunderstood and the cost of the phones isn't included?)

*IS* this $40 promo *REALLY* a good deal not to be missed?  Or should I continue in the dark ages?   LOL.

- Steven

(ps. I work from home.  I'm here most of the time anyway with access to web and landline.  Of course I do go out and a phone would be handy, but it isn't as critical as it is to many)

33 REPLIES 33

kevinl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

did they get the phones for $0 at signing? that makes a pretty big difference

for example, in BC, with Telus, the Pixel XL is $350 on a premium plus plan. 

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @bcsteeve

@That's is a pretty great deal. Don't miss it out, you won't get it anywhere else, unless you need a rubbish service. 

Jsauter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think the Pixel is overpriced, especially with the exchange rate.  I bought a Xiaomi phone for $200 all in and I think I am about 95% as happy with it as I would be with the Pixel.  

The public mobile $40 plan is the best out there right now unless you can get a Saskatchewan plan.  In my opinion it is much better than Wind because you don't have to deal with the roaming BS and it actually has decent reception.  With the referral discounts that you can get, you actually can pay a lot less than Wind in the end.

Need Help? Let's chat.