cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei P30 Lite - model MAR-LX1M

lance_t81
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I recently got a new Huawei P30 Lite - model MAR-LX1M with 6GB/128GB. 

My currently phone is a Samsung Galaxy A5, and this phone works perfectly fine with the nano SIM card from Public Mobile. 

However, when I placed the Public Mobile SIM card into the new Huawei P30 Lite, I cannot make or receive any calls.  This phone works fine with my friend's BellMTS SIM card, so I know it's not the phone itself.  I also tried this phone with a Rogers SIM card, and it works fine too.

I had tried to restart the phone, power-cycled it, etc, but still unable to use it on Public Mobile. 

Does anyone know if this phone is compatible?
Thanks in advance!

144 REPLIES 144

lance_t81

@softech  I sent CS both of the IMEI numbers.  They confirmed the IMEI numbers are good.

The post you linked me... that is definitely possible... PM said VoLTE is not supported, and that makes sense: I can connect to LTE data, and text, but just no calls. 

I checked the PM Compatibility page, and interestingly, Huawei P30 Lite is NOT listed:

lance_t81_0-1640059671464.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : What do the kids say...I know...right.

Maybe @sheytoon could have a go at interpreting this long thread. Or not.

I think the OP has done everything they can within the confines of the phone and where they are. The joys of acquiring phones from elsewhere.

@Anonymous   this is a tricky one.. it is in Winnipeg.. the Huawei doesn't see the 3G network, which can explain.. but his other Samsung works .. 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 : Just an outstanding effort on your part. If only everybody came in with what all you're doing.

You have verified the deal here. Text and data work on 4G LTE. The phone really doesn't seem to have the right frequencies/protocols/bands to do talk...which for here only works on 3G/WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA. Text and data and talk can also work on those. But your phone doesn't. Parts of Manitoba is in a peculiar situation. The fact that your phone works on Bell sorta kinda proves it. Which seems counter-intuitive but here you are.

I wonder if you took the phone elsewhere (away from Winnipeg and Brandon) whether it would suddenly work.

But the peculiar part is that your other phones work with this place. The specs of this phone, as I can find, suggest it should work here.

@lance_t81   you are in Winnipeg, does this affect you?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Text-From-PM-About-Changes-To-Mani... 

(i would assume not since you have other phones working well on PM.. )

also, since you know you have 2 IMEIs , did you confirm neither are blacklisted ? (i would assume they are fine as they both work on other networks and CS agent should have checked for you).. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 

go Find a location for repair

mobile-klinik - Public Mobile

the will test your device.

lance_t81

@AnonymousYes, I tried the PM SIM card with a OnePlus 7, as well as a Huawei P30 Pro, and it worked for both phones.  So the SIM card itself is fine I think...

I also tried a BellMTS + Rogers SIM cards on the Huawei P30 Lite, and both worked fine.

I am thinking..

• It's inexplicable why 3G doesn't work - could be due to a band incompatibility between the phone + PM
  • But... it is able to connect on 4G, data works, and text works.  Calls don't work...
    • I checked the Public Mobile Plan and it is
    • lance_t81_0-1640057087822.png
    • But I am able to connect at 4G.  Wonder if that is why calls are blocked.

I am working with CS on this.  If all else fails, I will get a different phone for the elderly family member.  They just need a no-frills Android phone for very basic usage.

If I have any breakthrough with this phone I will be sure to post the answer here.

@softechMight need to go to Polo Park (in Winnipeg) to ask to test out other SIMs and see...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 

you can try to test your SIM card in another device is will working right?

if you did Factory Reset and not working then the issue with your device.

or you can try one more time again.

@lance_t81 I would seek help from Koodo and/or Telus.support.. 

How?  Go to one of their stores... tell them you want to join but you need to use this phone.  (you are not lying.. check their plan and maybe you like their plans more  🙂 )   Ask them to try with a Koodo/Telus SIM and see if it can receive calls and make calls.  (make sure VoLTE is turned off)

If they have the same result, I would say it might be device issue or incompatible bands on 3G... 

lance_t81

@Anonymous

I did a factory reset first.

Then I also did a "Wipe cache partition" - this step was done after the factory reset, as per one of the posts I saw earlier:

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-huawei-p30-mobile-network-not-available-not-detecting-network-1105868

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 

you have to chosen wipe data/factory reset.

is not selected "Wipe cache partition"

go see my post has a video,,

lance_t81

With the PM SIM as the only SIM inserted in the SIM slot #1, I did the following:

• Did the factory reset.  Then also selected "Wipe cache partition".
  • Phone rebooted, went thru the entire set up process
  • Connected to WiFI
  • Signed into Google
  • Didn't even import contacts

Outcome:

• Exactly the same as before. 
    • 4G can connect, mobile data will control internet access, text works, but calls just do not
    • WCDMA only cannot connect, can't do mobile data, can't text, and can't call.

I am about to throw in the towel at this point...
I am talking to CS too at the moment. I linked them to this thread to show them all the screenshots...

@lance_t81 wrote:

@softechReset in progress...

lance_t81_0-1640054570623.png

... and good news coming  🙂

(remember to leave PM SIM as the only sim in the phone to run through the setup process.. also, DO NOT restore anything from backup or from Cloud.. just in case some apps messed up )

lance_t81

@softechReset in progress...

lance_t81_0-1640054570623.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 

if you still not working do you try to do Factory Reset. or not yet !!

How to do Hard Reset Huawei P30 Lite.

if you did Factory Reset and not working then the issue with your device...Check the warranty left.

lance_t81

With 4G on, it clearly can detect that there is voicemail in the mailbox, as shown here:

lance_t81_0-1640054223910.png

@lance_t81   ready for a hard reset?

lance_t81

This is the mobile plan of the PM SIM card:

lance_t81_0-1640053842230.png

lance_t81

@gpixelI reached out to CS, and provided the IMEI numbers (there were two from the phone, as it is a dual SIM phone).  They confirmed the IMEI numbers are not locked.

@AnonymousUnfortunately, 4G with data off didn't work at all.  I took the SIM card with me home tonight, so to try out more things.

With the PM SIM card inserted:

• 4G on:
    • Mobile data: off
      • Call didn't work
      • Text: can send and receive
      • Internet (YouTube): didn't work
    • Mobile data: on
      • Call didn't work
      • Text: can send and receive
      • Internet (YouTube): worked.
    • Manually scanned for networks: PM showed up
    • lance_t81_0-1640053420738.png

• 4G off: mode is WCDMA/GSM only
    • Mobile data off:
      • Call: didn't work
      • Text: didn't work
    • Mobile data on:
      • Call: didn't work
      • Text: didn't work
    • Manually scanning for networks:
    • lance_t81_1-1640053712348.png

@lance_t81 

why don't you factory reset(hard reset) your phone first before you try diagnosing. don't put any other sim in except the Public mobile sim

have you talked to customer support yet? it sounds like that IMEI is blocked at PM. if your PM sim works in other devices and other sim cards work on the p30 then it's most likely something to do with PM and that particular device

lance_t81

@softech

With the BellMTS SIM card in the P30 lite: yes, I can use 4G data.

Swapping putting the PM SIM card into my own phone: yes I can make call and receive calls without any issues.

Will try the LTE-but-data-off trick and see.  If that fails, will do a factory reset, and try reading the links @t_p referenced

@lance_t81   when you are on 4G, your data is working, right?

And you can use PM in your area with another phone for voice call without issue?

Although the specs. for MAR-LX1M should have the proper 3G bands.. but it sound like the 3G bands does not match PM's 3G Band, which is critical for voice calls.  Since the spec of this phone suggests it should work , I am thinking if it is some device issue.

You said you haven't done a hard reset yet.. maybe you should... Have ONLY the PM SIM in the phone when you hard reset the phone and use that as the only SIM to setup the phone after.  Do NOT restore things from previous backup or from cloud.. 

@lance_t81 

These are some more articles you can check out:

Real fix for Huawei P30 No Signal | troubleshooting network issues on Huawei P30 (thedroidguy.com)

How to fix Huawei P30 mobile network not available | not detecting network (thedroidguy.com)

Note: When you inserted PM SIM card in your phone, did you notice any looseness in the sim tray? If the card seems not to fit tightly in the slot, try shimming a thin piece of paper or tape to the back to improve contact in the sim reader

lance_t81

With my BellMTS SIM inserted:

• With Mobile Data toggled to off:
    • I can still make calls - the icon changed from LTE to 3G while the call is active.
    • I can still set the "Preferred network mode" - it is NOT greyed out.
  • Yes, the "Carrier" option takes me to the "Network selection"

Earlier, with the PM SIM inserted:

• With the 4G option enabled (Preferred network mode is "LTE/WCDMA/CSM Auto")
    • Carrier -> Network selection said "Public Mobile"
  • With the 4G option disabled (Preferred network mode is "WCDMA only")
    • Carrier -> Network selection said "No service"
    • Scanning for providers didn't show PM - it showed Bell, Rogers and Telus

So then, the only thing left to test I think is with the PM SIM + P30 Lite is:

• Leave LTE on + turn off mobile data
  • Try call/text
  • I think you might be onto something - because with my BellMTS SIM + mobile data off, making a call works but the icon changes from LTE -> 3G

I will try this tomorrow and post my result here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 : I just gotta say great job on all the pics.
The fact that setting the Preferred network mode is under Mobile data bugs me. If you toggle off Mobile data there, does the ability to set Preferred network mode go grey?
And the Carrier option goes to the Network selection pic from up thread? And with the PM SIM in and that changed to unselected and you scan you simply don't see PM I think you said or tried?

Generally a phone would sit idle on LTE. In the case of a WCDMA voice service like here, upon an in or out call, the service doesn't do VoLTE so it has to switch down to WCDMA to deal with the call.

For data use it just stays on LTE. It's part of why I wanted you to turn off mobile data.

So it's interesting that you observed the presence of PM while on LTE which is fine. But you say talk doesn't work. Then you switch to WCDMA and it simply gives you no service.

The large puzzler for me is that the phone works fine in either mode with the Bell service. Bell and Telus share infrastructure. So why doesn't it work?

So when you get to test with the SIM again, have only the one SIM in, turn off mobile data and leave it set to LTE. Can you talk? Does it appear to switch down to WCDMA? Sometimes the LTE signal might be a couple bars. Then when you call in or out the bars shoot up to full (or more than LTE). That's evidence that it switched down to WCDMA.

I was about to go into issues with MB but the SIM works in another phone.

Things do seem to be heading to an incompatibility of some kind except for the fact that it works with Bell. But I'd rather you keep testing things.

You're doin' a great job staying engaged.

Edit: With the Bell SIM in, turn off mobile data...can you talk? Do bars change at all?

With the PM SIM in and set to LTE can you text in or out using standard SMS (not using chat features)?

lance_t81

One important thing I now can recall trying the PM SIM card earlier...

By default, 4G is enabled. The LTE icon did light up, and it did say "Public Mobile LTE".  It even picked up the fact that there were voice messages in the mailbox.

I tried calling my own phone, and the P30 Lite would try to dial, but there is no dial tone. It would not complete the dial and stops in about 10 seconds.

When I switched over to the WCDMA options as per the suggestions here, the connection icon said "No Service", and trying to dial would immediately say - No service.

Does this make any sense?

lance_t81

Note: this post here is for the BellMTS SIM card - I am testing the phone using my own SIM card at this hour...

The only settings that deal with connections are these two:

lance_t81_0-1639981092433.pnglance_t81_1-1639981132036.pnglance_t81_2-1639981146864.png

I can show that LTE works:

lance_t81_3-1639981221671.pnglance_t81_4-1639981288068.png

Touching the SIM 1 Card icon just allow the edit of the name:

lance_t81_5-1639981404374.png

I switched off 4G for the SIM card, and it switches to 3G, and it still works:

lance_t81_6-1639981601150.pnglance_t81_7-1639981622368.png

Other settings that I already checked (even with the PM SIM card earlier):

lance_t81_8-1639981708636.pnglance_t81_9-1639981726674.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 : I guess I coulda been clearer. I had meant the 2G/3G/4G in SIM Management. Can that appearance be changed anywhere else other than under mobile data?

On my Samsung A31 running A11 (unaltered) I find the setting under Connections/Mobile networks/Network mode SIM 1 (I also have dual-SIM).

But then nor do I have any other place to set that so maybe that's it for you too.

But now it seems you need to wait to test more.

lance_t81

Set any other settings you find to WCDMA/UMTS/3G

Done.  I set everything to "WCDMA only"

I think seeing 2G/3G/4G for the MTS SIM suggests there's another place to set that

That value is affected by this 4G toggle, shown below:

lance_t81_1-1639978798242.png

But then you've set your mobile data to WCDMA and you say it works ??

Yes, the P30 Lite works with the BellMTS SIM, with "WCDMA only" set.  It also works with LTE too if I enable the 4G option.
The PM SIM works with my OnePlus 7 Pro.  I should add that I tested the PM SIM on my friend's Huawei P30 Pro, and it worked flawlessly.

Is that little pencil looking thing with the horizontal line an edit function?

It is - it allows you to edit the name, that's it.

What's that little eye kinda icon up top?
It's the "Eye Comfort" feature under Display.  I have it set to turned on past 10 PM to reduce blue light.

I currently do not have the PM SIM with me anymore, as I do not live in the same household as the older family member.  I will need to try again tomorrow when I visit again.

Any other suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lance_t81 : I think it needs to be broken down to simple. Just the one 1 PM SIM. Mobile data off. Disregard settings to do with mobile data. Set any other settings you find to WCDMA/UMTS/3G. I think seeing 2G/3G/4G for the MTS SIM suggests there's another place to set that. The one you're showing is under mobile data.

Turn off automatic network and scan again.

Unless your MTS is using VoLTE...the phone should work here. But then you've set your mobile data to WCDMA and you say it works ??

Is that little pencil looking thing with the horizontal line an edit function?

What's that little eye kinda icon up top?

And turn off all other radios like wifi, gps, bluetooth, nfc etc whatever might be on.

Need Help? Let's chat.