cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel my phone service with Public Mobile

RyanRacer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I can cancel my Public Mobile cell phone account?  According to my payment plan I am currently paid up from March 18th until April 17th.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17

You "could go on" ?   🤭

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

Lol....beat me to it. I decided to answer Q.2 before Q.3 after reading Q.1.

@RyanRacer 

Really the question for you is how are you going to use your mobile services? Are there other services that you require from your mobile provider? As suggested by @HALIMACS adding the $5/500min Canada wide calling add on may prove to be more economical for you (and/or your employer?) How many outgoing calls do you actually make?

I rarely exceed my 100 outgoing minutes in fact I usually call my mom on day 30 just to use up my minutes as most of my contacts know to call me or will call me back if I text or call them first. I use either fongo or text now to check my voicemail or call certain numbers that I know have a high likelihood of putting me on hold and I schedule a callback whenever possible.

The $5/500min add on is a one time purchase that does not expire. Instead it rolls over every 30 days until completely consumed. The $15 plan+$5/500 min add on=$20/30 days for unlimited SMS/MMS texts and incoming calling and 600 minutes (100 plan minutes+500 add on minutes) of outgoing calling. That's 10 hours of talk time if you initiate the call. In all likelihood you will use an average of 100 extra minutes per 30 days which would add about $1 to your plan cost each 30 days. You would only need to purchase the $5/500min add on once every 5 or 6 months.

While you do not need mobile data having 250mb can still be handy for checking email, your self serve account, Google maps or if needed using textnow or fongo for calls when you can't access wifi. These voip providers use about 0.5mb=1min so 250mb=500min. They also offer free calling to the US and act as "PM" Roaming (Poor Man's Roaming...lol) for international destinations not served by pm's US (only) Roaming add ons. PC Mobile has no roaming options at all and no service at all in certain northern areas of BC and Alberta and none in the Yukon, NWT and Iqaluit.

Read the terms of service of PC Mobile there are significant differences between public mobile and PC Mobile. There are no overages, extra billing or fees at Public Mobile. PC Mobile has overage and pay per use charges. Add ons automatically renew and the minutes and/or data expires at the end of each billing month. You must top up your full amount including add ons before the end of your billing month at PC Mobile.

They can easily be significant like $0.40/min for extra Canada wide or US calling minutes compared to $0.01/min and $0.15 (US and the UK rate) at pm. While they offer more international calling destinations than pm with starting rates between $0.037/min and $0.049/min the majority of these rates are to landlines only with mobile number calls up to 10× and even 20× more per minute.

Public mobile has its points rewards program. You get 3×points (5% get back points×3=15%) for your first 12 months and 5% thereafter (+anniversary, referral and give back points rewards) whereas you get 5% back only if you enroll for pre-authorized payments and the additional 5% if you use a PC financial product to pay and its for PC optimum points....so no bill credits or discounted add on redemptions......

I could go on......but to cancel your services here you can....

1. Port out your phone number to another provider....like PC Mobile.
  2. Disable autopay.
  3. Replace your autopay card with a $0 credit/gift card.
  4. Contact customer support to remove your autopay card.
  5. Put your autopay card on hold in its online account before midnight eastern on day 30 of your renewal and remove the hold after noon eastern the next day.
  6. Self suspend via lost/stolen.
  7. Write pm at 25 York St, Toronto, Ontario and after allowing 30 days for reciept state the date you would like to cancel your services.
  8. Options #2 thru #7 all suspend services that can be manually topped up and reactivated before day 89/90 or they will be automatically cancelłed.

Welcome to Public Mobile....and Sorry to see you go.....? 🤔😀

drsiha
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Remove autopay and that's it.

The service will be suspended once the cycle ends.

Keep in mind that, remaining balance and unused add-ons will NOT be refunded.

I suppose @RyanRacer 

OR, you could keep the $15 plan here and the small bit of data that goes with it, then once every couple of months add the 500 minute calling add on for $5.

The add-on stays on the account till it’s used and will likely more than supplement the outgoing calls you need to make.

This way you save a bit of money with public mobile. Plus you get the benefit of the points program.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just FYI: Freedom has a 129/year prepaid plan that is unlimited talk & text. Which is even cheaper, if it's available where you are. 

XionBunny

Whatever makes you happy, but if you come back you'll always be welcome and get further advice, take care on your mobile journey, take it from me a person who has shopped around in this market for years, you really won't get a better deal then here for the options and balance of addons.

Hi @RyanRacer Fair, everyone has different need and you pick one that suits your need most 

Hi @RyanRacer before you sign up for PVC Mobile, make sure you aware there is no data at all for the $20 plan there.  The $15 plan here has 250 Mb data while the $25 has 1gb 

RyanRacer

I don't require data, and so PC Mobile is the cheapest for me and I will be switching for the more affordable option.

XionBunny

you get no data with that at all though, and if you add the same amount as the 25$ plan data-wise there the price jumps to over 30$ after taxes, making it less value all around than here.

RyanRacer

Actually, I was just online and PC Mobile offers an unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text Plan for $20/month which is cheaper than PM at $25/month.

XionBunny

Well i stand corrected 😛

HI @XionBunny   the inevitable one will be the 4th topic.

OP has been asking questions fast.  I just don't understand, he can reimburse the charge, why not treat himself better and get a better plan.  He obviously didn't like $15 plan without unlimited calling and hence rushing to leave.  But I guess office will find a $25 plan reasonable and won't have trouble to pay $10 more  🙂

XionBunny

And before the inevitable third topic is posted, there is no refund for the month of service you will not be using if you port out, as this is a prepaid service.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @RyanRacer   

You asked for the $15 plan not unlimited calls

Then you ask for invoice so you can reimburse the plan charge

Why not change to $25 plan and get unlimited calling?

There is no other provider will give you $15 for unlimited inbound and outbound calls.  You cannot get cheaper plan than this

To answer your question, to cancel your service, just disable Pre-authorized payments from My Account and it will not renew on April 17. Sorry, you can't cancel early and get partial refund as PM is prepaid service provider

@RyanRacer wrote:

How do I can cancel my Public Mobile cell phone account?  According to my payment plan I am currently paid up from March 18th until April 17th.

Thank you.

There isn't any way to cancel the service before the time that you've already paid for runs out.  Once payment for renewal is due and payment isnt' made, the account will go into suspension. After 90 days of suspension, the account will get closed.  Please remember to disabled the pre-authroized payment setting for your Public Mobile account.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@RyanRacer 

To "cancel" the plan, you can either port out your number to another provider and your account will be closed upon successful port out of the number

Or you disable Pre-Authorized payments instead.  Once it is disabled, PM will not be able to renew your account on your next renewal ( April 17th)  , your account will then be suspended on that day and 90 more days, it will be closed

To disable Pre-authorized payment, you can use *611 if you know the 4 digits PIN

Or you can also login to My Account and go to Payment page -> Manage Payment Method, and then disable Pre-Authorized payment.  

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/payment/manage-card-summaryhttps://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/payment/manage-card-summary

Need Help? Let's chat.