cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Replace a Broken Mobile Suit

s4rnold
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On May 8, 2021, I got mugged by a stranger who snatched my mobile phone out of my pocket, and then severely damaged it to the point where I can no longer turn on the power, thus not being able to make any calls. Is there a way I can have my phone replaced? If so, at what cost or is the phone model replacement free? Also, is there a way for me to pause my monthly phone payments until the phone is replaced (the last monthly payment was dated 6/11/2021)? My phone is an Alcatel onetouch Model A392A.

31 REPLIES 31

@s4rnold 

Here's your exact model for sale on craigslist. Not sure where you are located but if you are out by the pacific ocean......$40 is a steal.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/mob/d/port-moody-flip-phone-alcatel-one-touch/7326811597.html

@Doomsday wrote:

If you have personal insurance, first make a police report. Second contact your insurance they may be able to cover the cost. They paid me when my phone got stolen.

It does depend on the policy, but Ihe deductible would likely be far greater the worth of the device, especially when we're talking about a flip phone.

Doomsday

If you have personal insurance, first make a police report. Second contact your insurance they may be able to cover the cost. They paid me when my phone got stolen.

Good luck

@s4rnold 

That's unfortunate. Thankfully you are safe. At least phones are replacable you are not but it is an unexpected expense. And that model of flip phone is a little workhorse. New flip phones also come compatible with the 4G LTE network which eventually you will need to be able to access so you would have had to upgrade it anyways just a little sooner than was necessary. I would recommend buying one of the new models available rather than a used or refurbished one.

s4rnold

@computergeek541 Well, the thief was trying to get me to give her money before she snatched the phone, then still kept begging when I said, "I don't have money on me" before of course she ran off and then destroyed the phone. 

@s4rnold 

Yes that is a good idea. As I mentioned before you do still have access to your voicemail service.

@computergeek541 

I'm surprised too....perhaps at first they thought it was a wallet.

s4rnold

Fortunately, there is no sign of any suspicious phone calls made through my phone number in the call history since the incident. Also, I'm keeping the service in suspension via lost/stolen as suggested.

@s4rnold wrote:

Yep, those three little things you're showing me were the parts I was not able to retrieve. 

That make sense now. The general feeling is that the SIM is usually with the phone.  I do doubt that theif has the SIM card, only because the person would have had to have had to remove it while running away from you.   I'm shocked that the person would ty to take this phone from you. Once added to the national database of stolen phones, this type of device would have zero value.

@s4rnold 

Your daily usage pages go back 30 days and farther if you use the calendar dates. Check for usage and take screenshots for evidence. Just to be safe check your financials to make sure they are not compromised but you probably would have noticed something by now. The sooner the better to log into your account and suspend your service via lost/stolen.

s4rnold

Yep, those three little things you're showing me were the parts I was not able to retrieve. 

@s4rnold 

If that's the case then you want to report it as lost/stolen. Check your daily usage pages for use in the last month. If the thief had been using your service then that is a huge lead for the police to follow up on. Here is what you are looking for.....and my mistake his phone does take a full size sim card.

IMG_20210612_235700220.jpg

s4rnold

Thinking back, I fear the thief took that away (and the battery) while breaking up the phone itself, and the breaking up was after she ran off some blocks away from me, before of course I gathered what was able to find. 

@s4rnold wrote:

So do I undo "Lost/stolen" function then, and then disable the autopay?

Since you've already done it, it doesn't really make a difference at this point. The issue with lost/stolen relates to account rewards possibly not being received for the next renewal (if you choose to pay on time for that renewal and have already replaced your phone).  Unfortunately, the lost/stolen option doesn't save any of your current plan for you to use later (it still gets used up when you have lost/stolen enabled).

You could still disable autopay, but based on you saying earlier that last payment was on June 11, your card wouldn't be charged until Jully 11 anyway.

@s4rnold 

The sim card is in the sim slot behind the battery on that model of phone. 

s4rnold

So do I undo "Lost/stolen" function then, and then disable the autopay?

@s4rnold 

Keep your account active until the last day of your 30 day cycle. If you still have not decided on a phone you can suspend it via lost/stolen. If you do this before midnight eastern you will retain active voicemail service. Just call your number from another phone and press * when it connects. Then enter your 4 digit voicemail pin # to access your voicemail.

Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will cause your rewards to not apply but you can contact the moderators once you have unsuspended, pay for your plan and reactivate your service to ask for the rewards to be applied manualy.

s4rnold

Does the SIM look like a microchip thing? Because I don't recall finding it when gathering all the broken parts of the ground.

@s4rnold wrote:

Then what do I do then? It doesn't make sense paying for monthly bills if I haven't yet decided on a replacement phone. 

If your paln renewed on June 11, it's unfortuante, but you've already paid for service until through July 10.

As stated earlier, you could simply not pay for your next renewal if you dont have a replacement phone yet. However, you still have plently of time before the next renewal as you had just renewed a couple of days ago. Marking your phone as lost/stolen did not save you any money, nor does it allow you to use for phone for any longer after you re-enable the servcie. The renewal that you paid for on June 11 is already paid for and while you don't have a replacement phone yet, the plan will still get used up.  You could disable autopay (if you have it enabled) or delete any credit card or visa/mastercard debit card from your account, but at this point in time, that isn't needed yet unless you don't plan on replacing your phone.

@s4rnold 

You can tap "@" to tag someone so we know who you are replying to....

What makes you think the sim card is damaged? You can test it in another phone like a friend or family members. Just make sure its an unlocked phone or one that is with telus, koodo or pm. If the phone you test it in takes a smaller sim card which is likely because your model takes a micro sized sim card just carefully snap the nano sized sim out of its frame to test then snap it back the frame.

If the sim card is damaged you can currently order one from amazon.ca for $5 and Canadian Cell supplies for $4.99. If you purchase one locally do not allow the retailer to activate it. You will need to contact the moderators with the new unactivated sim card # to change it in your account.

s4rnold

Then what do I do then? It doesn't make sense paying for monthly bills if I haven't yet decided on a replacement phone. 

@s4rnold wrote:

Advice taken. 

I noticed that you're replying to the suggestion to have your phone marked as lost/stolen. Please do not do this. This will not accomplish anyting and can actually be a bad thing for your account in this situation.

@s4rnold 

You might also wish to take a look at the phones sold by Public Mobile. They aren't brand new and the prices aren't always the greatest, but there might be something that you could possibly be interested in if you dont want to look far to find a phone.  Click here to take a look:  Phone Section (publicmobile.ca)

s4rnold

I believe so.

s4rnold

Advice taken. 

@s4rnold 

I have that model of flip phone and it certainly has taken a beating. I'm sorry yours didn't survive its encounter with the thief. Replacing that model would be difficult as its mostly unavailable however I did find it at walmart refurbished for $135. That is a ridiculously high price for a phone that originally retailed at $89.99.

If your heart is set on a non smartphone here are a few options for alcatel (and others)flip phones on the market.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/brand/alcatel

https://www.amazon.ca/Alcatel-GO-FLIP-A405DL-Cellphone/dp/B08TB136MN/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08TB13...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08MT7VDM9?SubscriptionId=AKIAJA54JMESX73IGPXQ&ascsubtag=816236997-6-788596...

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-coolpad-snap-prepaid-phone---black---npplcpsnpbk/L0965290.html?cgi...

And one used one....

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NEU8D7U?SubscriptionId=AKIAJA54JMESX73IGPXQ&ascsubtag=787460956-6-788596...

If you would like suggestions on good quality smartphones under $200 the community can offer some advice on options.

@softech wrote:

True, I missed the part that OP just paid current month cycle yesterday.  So, if OP is going to have a secondary phone , or able to get a phone from friends for now, there is no need to suspend the account.  After all, you have close to 30 days to figure this out.  As @computergeek541  suggested, you can let it expires at the end of the cycle if you don't have a replacement /loaner phone. no rush to decide.

That's ok. We've all missed stuff before (including myself).  I would imagine that you might have originally thought that the theif had the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s4rnold : Was the SIM damaged? If not, keep it in a safe place to use in the replacement phone. If so, then you'll need to get a new one and ask the moderators to change it in the system.

True, I missed the part that OP just paid current month cycle yesterday.  So, if OP is going to have a secondary phone , or able to get a phone from friends for now, there is no need to suspend the account.  After all, you have close to 30 days to figure this out.  As @computergeek541  suggested, you can let it expires at the end of the cycle if you don't have a replacement /loaner phone. no rush to decide.

@softech wrote:

@s4rnold   you can temporary suspend your service by clicking at Report Loss/Stolen button.  

you have 90 days to unsuspend the service or you will loss your number and your account will be permanently closed.

I wouldn't recommened do that in this case. If @s4rnold  does this and ends up purchasing a new device before the next reneal, the customer risks losing any rewards that are on the account. In addition, reporting the device as lost/stolen will not extend the expiry date of the currently paid for plan. While the lost/stolen option is avaialble, it doesn't help the customer in any way for a situation such as this.  The customer would be better off simply not paying for the next renewal on time if the phone hasn't been replaced by that time.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@s4rnold   you can temporary suspend your service by clicking at Report Loss/Stolen button.  

you have 90 days to unsuspend the service or you will loss your number and your account will be permanently closed.

Need Help? Let's chat.