cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can one go without renewing before losing ones' phone number?

musicollector
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Also, what is the procedure on porting a number from Speakout. And, how long does it take?

9 REPLIES 9

@chipmunk 

Yes, this was my experience when I ported out from Virgin to Shaw awhile back...way before I switched to PM.

The Shaw rep told me to leave the Virgin SIM and continue to use it for about 90 minutes.

It actually cut out after 85 minutes before I switch the Virgin to Shaw SIM.

chipmunk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@BKNS27 

Is this reference point from your recent personal exprerience?

I'm not sure if and how things might have changed at SpeakOut since my port in December 2021 (link to my report in my post above)... but at that point SO didn't send actual port request authorization text that had to be replied to. The text sent was "the other way round":  "contact us immediately if you DIDN'T request a port-out from SpeakOut".

Either way, I understand that the SpeakOut SIM should be kept in the phone until the port is complete and the SIM disconnects from the network.

chipmunk

@popping wrote:

@chipmunk 

Taking 10 minutes to port a number from Speakout is super quick.  Thank for sharing.

I'm sorry, but reading back on that post it would have been 30 minutes from the SpeakOut side (with the stated disclaimer that it might have been less because I'm in a fringe zone for Rogers coverage) and then 10 minutes for the port to complete with the "restart phone" message from Public Mobile.

So technically, from submitting the port form to all being done and dusted it was around 40 minutes - which, IMHO is still a very good time. I've heard reports of port-out from SpeakOut taking several days.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@musicollector 

You can suspended your account for 85 days without payment just in case there maybe issues with renewing your account.

Porting from Speakout should take about 90 minutes after you confirmed the text from Speakout that you are porting your number over to PM.

Meanwhile, the old SIM will work during the porting is completed.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@musicollector 

To clarify....you have 90 days from the last paid day of service. If day 30 of your plan is today January 7th then day 1 of your 90 days is tomorrow January 8th. Your 90th day is April 7th. The 90 day count goes by your 30 day cycle and starts on the day after your last paid day of service. Suspension via lost/stolen occurs when you self suspend but your service is still paid until day 30 of your current cycle. Suspension for non payment actually occurs on day 1 of a new cycle which confuses many customers that has led to accounts being canceled and deactivated.(I'm one of them!!) Do not wait until day 90 to reactivate. Reactivate before day 90 and preferably around day 85. Leave yourself a minimum of 2 days of grace period to deal with any issues that may arise preventing you from reactivating.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chipmunk 

Taking 10 minutes to port a number from Speakout is super quick.  Thank for sharing.

chipmunk

@esjliv wrote:

@musicollector 

See @popping 's post about porting from Speakout.

I'm not an oracle, so my word is not really worth anything. But here is my experience as an additional reference point. I can't believe that it's already more than a year!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Has-anyone-ported-from-SpeakOut-to-PM-rec... 

Edit: Sorry for the inconvenience - I just realized that I wrote that post before the new account system was implemented. I don't have another nummer that I could try porting, so the button stays greyed out...  but the option is under "Profile" - "My Phone Number" (click on "Change Phone Number") - "Transfer Phone Number"

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@musicollector 

If you have been in nonpay/suspended status for over 90 days, or ported your Public Mobile number to another provider, then you lost your Public Mobile account, phone number, and access to self serve/My Account.

See @popping 's post about porting from Speakout.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

90 days past the date the service is suspended, @musicollector 

(the above relates to services with Public Mobile)

Need Help? Let's chat.