cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does data work?

Zelia
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just signed up for the $15 plan, new customer here.

There is a little bit of data included in this plan. We don't need any more.

Question is how is data tracked and billed? Does it automatically apply but then cut off when limit is reached? Or are there charges for overages?

Currently my kid just uses Wifi so doesn't need data and I don't want any accidental overage charges because she was using data without knowing.

THanks

4 REPLIES 4

@Zelia 

There are never any extra charges or overages at public mobile. If you dont pay for it up front it just wont work or it will stop working once you use it all up. Or if something does work when you havent paid for it then its a freebie.

With a limited calling plan ($15 plan) you will recieve a text message when its 90% used (10 min left.) You may want to purchase the $5/500min canada wide calling add on to supplement this plan. It will roll over each month until completely used. You will still recieve the 10 min. left text. Otherwise if you run out of minutes outgoing calling will cease or if you have loaded the free holiday 500 international calling minutes add on those minutes will be used once plan minutes are finished.

Plan data will recieve a notice at 75% and 90% usage. However if there is a data add on in the account you will not recieve plan data warnings. It is important (and a good teaching moment) to make use of a smartphones tools in the data settings. Enable the data saver, turn off the wifi assist (iPhone), set the data tracker dates (note the months that dont have 30 days and reset), set the data warning and data limiter (I have mine set at 25% and 50%)and adjust accordingly when the limiter turns off the data and you have to reset and keep in mind any add ons you may have. Lastly under data usage go thru each app and turn off background data. It is not needed....if it is the phone wont let you turn it off like the OS. This can save you up to 38% of your data usage.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome!

Data will be off when all is used.  No overage charges which is great for kids.

Be sure to check into the free Christmas add ons available till Dec 31.  Extra long distance and data in case you exceed your plan amount.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can see your usage in your self serve account..  PM does not have any overages so once you reach your limit it stops.  There is a 2GB data freebie that you can add to your account

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/More-is-Merrier-is-back-Free-gifts-for-...

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Zelia  You got data bonus for enabled Autopay. There are no overcharges with PM. When you use up all data, it would just stop.

Need Help? Let's chat.