cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i start using my US add ons?

clairereilly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I entered the USA on Tuesday and purchased 1GB of US Data & Unlimited US Text on Wednesday, after having entered the US. Previously, when I purchase US add-ons, I do so before my trip and as soon as I enter the states I receive a text from Public Mobile saying that my add-ons have started, and then I have no issues texting or using data.

However, I haven't been able to send/receive any texts or use data since my purchase a few days ago. Does anyone know how I can activate these add-ons and start using them? Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

@Alexandf wrote:

@clairereilly 

not working well US add-ons go to any walmart US or amazon , buy it prepaid sim US.

Before doing as you suggest...the OP should first try manually selecting T-Mobile, as others have suggested.

Alexandf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@clairereilly 

not working well US add-ons go to any walmart US or amazon , buy it prepaid sim US.

No "welcome to.." text was received this time.

Purchased the talk/text/data add-on before going south.

Seemed to work ok, but best in town. The further from city I got, the signal bars diminished.

Pre-covid...I had could use the AT&T network in much greater area.

Fishing in Lake Roosevelt now...T-Mobile signal is sketchy at best.

Great update @hairbag1 . sheytoon might be able to be more factual from knowledge but one could be in the "shadow" of transmission when being so close to it. But pretty darn telling. Did you get the welcome text? Did you buy beforehand while at home?

SouthdaleRL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'd be shocked if not-trust-anyon's advice worked as it's supposedly a dead zone down there for Public/Zoomer/Freedom folks. Let us know clairereilly!

@dust2dust wrote:

That text was actually a welcome to the US text and inviting you to buy add-ons. (iirc)

For now, manually connect to T-Mobile. I'm not sure AT&T still works at all for us. I would be curious to know if you're currently on AT&T and nothing works. Then if you were to change to T-Mobile to see if anything works. That would be more confirmation that A&T has abandoned us.

Just returned from eastern Wa state. I can confirm that AT&T does did not work for me...was only able to use the roaming add-on using the T-Mobile network....even whilst standing directly under an AT&T cell tower.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

That text was actually a welcome to the US text and inviting you to buy add-ons. (iirc)

For now, manually connect to T-Mobile. I'm not sure AT&T still works at all for us. I would be curious to know if you're currently on AT&T and nothing works. Then if you were to change to T-Mobile to see if anything works. That would be more confirmation that A&T has abandoned us.

@clairereilly wrote:

I entered the USA on Tuesday and purchased 1GB of US Data & Unlimited US Text on Wednesday, after having entered the US. Previously, when I purchase US add-ons, I do so before my trip and as soon as I enter the states I receive a text from Public Mobile saying that my add-ons have started, and then I have no issues texting or using data.

However, I haven't been able to send/receive any texts or use data since my purchase a few days ago. Does anyone know how I can activate these add-ons and start using them? Thanks in advance!

There isn't any post add-on purchase activation procedure. It's supposed to start working automatically. The only thing that has really changed recently has been the T-Mobile 3g network shutdown.  However, text messaging and data should still work on the 2g and LTE networks.

Need Help? Let's chat.