cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up iMessage on my iPhone?

PhoneUser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently switched to Public from Virgin Mobile, and on Virgin Mobile iMessage would work without a problem. Now, iMessage won't work on Public! Can someone please assist me with steps to correct this problem? Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey @PhoneUser I couldn't really tell if you got my suggestion to turn iMessage off and back on again.

If you did, feel free to ignore me. But if you didn't, it should fix your problem as it forces your phone to go through the iMessage registration process again (prompting a hidden text message to be sent to the number on your SIM for verification).

You can verify your phone number by going to Settings -> Phone it should be under "My Number". If your number is incorrect here, there's likely an issue with the provisioning of the phone that one of our lovely moderators could take a look at. 🙂

imateachertoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Another option that might work for you is to sign out of your iCloud and iTunes and turn off iMessage, turn off your phone and then turn it back on, log back in to iCloud and iTunes, turn iMessage back on and see if that helps....

Or try from another iCloud account... 

Check to see if your text is being sent from your number or iMessage email address...

Could also try sending regular sms (by holding the message and choose send by sms)

Let us know. If you still have that same problem, PM staff member can look it up on your porting process and see if it was completed successfully? 

When you make a call, does the other person see your ported number on caller id? 

PhoneUser

@Luddite Okay, I'll let it rest overnight 🙂 I actually ported my number yesterday so I did have a night for it to process through, but another night won't hurt 🙂 

@7789849803 Thanks for letting me know!

@PhoneUser Luddite is our in-house Apple-expert Oracle In-chief. If I were you, I'd return to this community tomorrow morning to post what has transpired till then.

The error message from PM about texting is actually related to Apple resetting iMessage. Suggest you just leave it overnight and see if it clears up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PhoneUser

Hi everyone! 

Here's kind of the long story-- I switched to Public and took a new number for a couple of days to try out the service and to see if it meets my needs (it does!). I got a (647) number upon signing up. That number registered on my iMessage correctly and iMessage was working fine with that number. I could send/receive messages as I have always done so. 

Then, I ported my number from the previous company, Virgin Mobile. This is a (416) number. My iMessage hasn't switched to the 416 number. It is actually still stuck on the 647 number. 

iMessage does in fact work on my iPhone because I can still send and receive iMessages via the 647 number. But I don't want the 647 associated with iMessage because family and friends only know my 416 number!

I am using an iPhone 5s (unclocked, purchased from the Apple Store) and it is running iOS 9.

@NDesai I have rebooted my iPhone several times (also, whenever I reboot I get a text message from Public saying "Public Mobile here. Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada at this time." I am within Canada so I don't quite understand this message, and it comes everytime I reboot my phone). I also checked the APN settings and they are fine. My data is working as expected.

@7789849803 iPhone 5s running iOS 9

@clogan2 I do have the texting add-on. My plan includes talk, text and data. Talk and data are working as expected and without issues. 

@Edmflailer iMessage doesn't work for my 416 number on Wi-Fi or when using my data plan!

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @PhoneUser, welcome to the Public Mobile community!  it sounds like you have a few things to check based on the previous responses.  When you have a moment, would you be able to give us a brief update if things are working for you now?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Edmflailer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Try and see if it works when u have wifi?  If it does then you need to add data to your plan or get an add on

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Do you have the texting add-on? I know it may seem strange, but you need it for iMessage as it sends a few texts back and forth from Apple for setup. If you don't have the texting add-on, you should still be able to send iMessages from your email address.

Otherwise, you might try going to Settings -> Messages and turning iMessage off and back on again. (you'll need to ensure that you have cellular reception in order to turn it back on)

@PhoneUser Please specify what iPhone and what iOS version you are using.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Did you try rebooting your device? 

Check your APN settings. 

Need Help? Let's chat.