cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if I am using eSIM now? iPhone 11

lilcold_141
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I got my 4G plan from PM this morning and requested to port my number from my old provider.

For some reason, I am experiencing poor network coverage. I am located in Kingston, ON. Seems to only be able to make emergency calls. 

Is this due to the fact that I am in the "limbo" between two providers, or simply due to poor coverage from PM? I still have both the new eSIM from PM and my old physical SIM card plugged in my iPhone 11.

3 REPLIES 3

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@lilcold_141 - did you reply YES on the previous physical SIM card to approve the port? If so, take out the old provider's sim card and see what services work.

lilcold_141
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the link. I just realized that I need to go to the settings > cellular to set the PM eSIM as "Primary" and then restart the phone. After doing that I received a bunch of text messages (a good sign showing that the eSIM is activated now). The reason I was getting no coverage is because I was still using the old provider, cuz I am no longer their customer anymore lol.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@lilcold_141 , I am not so familiar with SIM management on the iPhone.  I would imagine you can check and enable installed SIMs both e-Sim and p-SIM.  Check the settings on the phone.  In any event, if the phone is connected to a cellular service, the notifications should indicate that.  If you have emergency calling only, it is likely you don't have a cellular connection.  

When you submitted the number transfer, did you receive a confirmation text to the old service on the p-SIM?  

I found this article concerning iPhones.  Maybe the information here will help.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209044

Need Help? Let's chat.