cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hauwei Phones (P10 Lite or Honor 6X)

RyanRF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm in need of a new phone since my current one just bit the dust. 

The P10 Lite and the Honor 6X look like they hit all the right notes for me and are in my price range.  I'm having a hard time finding out if they will work on the PM Network; some places I check say they will (or at least might, others say they won't. 

Does anyone have either of these phones and can help shed some light on this?

I've been able to find unlocked Honor 6X phones pretty easily but not so much with the P10 lite.  I did see Virgin has one that can be bought at retail price of $350, which I could then get them to unlock right away as per CRTC rules.

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RyanRF any further thought on the decision making process?

@TheOldVR please keep us posted

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have been looking at the P10 phones since they came out.... not sure why but I actually like them quite a bit after checking them out in-store.

May pick one up if there is ever a decent deal on them out-right.

srlawren

@RyanRF not a bad idea.  I just looked at the same comparison and you're right that they are very similar.  The P10 Lite would be easier on the hand if size is an issue, but that's about it's only major advantage.  One main difference is the the 6X gets around 35% longer battery life (based on GSMArena's "endurance rating"), and it's $50-80 cheaper too.  So as long as you're okay with the larger size, it's probably the better choice indeed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

RyanRF

Thanks for the advice @srlawren

I might just skip the hassle and go with the Honor 6X.  After doing a phone compare on GSMArena, it looks like the two are very close in comparison; especially where the features I like are concerned.  Plus, I can get the unlocked Honor 6X for $300 from newegg.

srlawren

@RyanRF it might be worth the extra $30 to get it from Amazon.ca anyway.  Virgin might not want to sell it to you without activating service which you'd have to turn around and cancel after, or they might make you buy a SIM card, plus you'll have to pay to have it unlocked, either from them which will certainly be more than the $30 or through a 3rd party service, etc.  I'd just go for the factory unlocked version myself and avoid a lot of hassle.  I don't know if there would be any carrier branding on the P10 Lite from Virgin but on most phones there is, like a boot up logo screen, possibly bloatware, etc.  The factory unlocked verison of most phones is cleaner.

@xCameron94x wrote:

you can get one from Amazon.ca unlocked for around $380. Not sure what the full price at virgin is. May be wirth checking out.

Great suggestion!  People have to learn, carriers are not the only means of obtaining hardware.  In fact they are a bad source considering how they bundle hardware with services.  That's like having to buy a car with the tank of gas.

RyanRF

Virgin/The Source has it for $350 upfront.

you can get one from Amazon.ca unlocked for around $380. Not sure what the full price at virgin is. May be wirth checking out.

RyanRF

@xCameron94x wrote:

The p10 Lite will work in Canada. Also has band 4, but also has band 7, 12 and 5

LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 17(700)

Band 4 is the band that is used throughout Canada

Here is the list of Telus bands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility#LTE

Thanks; after finding more info on the bands used by the p10 Lite in Canada and finding out that phones from Virgin work on PM, I'm a little more confident.
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100

I think with that, I should be able to buy the P10 Lite from Virgin and unlock it right away.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

The american version of the honor 6X will  work: It has band 4 which is the main band. Also supports bands 5 and 12 (but not 7)

Honor 6x

LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 12(700), 20(800), 38(2600)

The p10 Lite will work in Canada. Also has band 4, but also has band 7, 12 and 5

Band 4 is the band that is used throughout Canada

Here is the list of Telus bands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility#LTE

Need Help? Let's chat.