cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group text recipient limit

Lorenzo99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone, I'm coming here as my last resort for an issue I cannot seem to find any clear information on. 

I am trying to create a group text on Android 14 (Pixel 7 Pro) with more than 10 people. I am running into a limit on the number of recipients in google messages. When I try to circumvent this (via messages for web and Textura) the texts don't seem to be going through.  

From what I have heard, that limit should be up around 15-20. I can't figure out what would cause that other than some hidden setting that the carrier sets and google messages determine it. The Textra app let me create the group no problem but the messages don't appear to be going through. The confusing thing is I am already in group texts that are more than 10 people and they seem to work just fine. 

The PM support agents have done an embarrassingly poor job at providing any useful information or realistic troubleshooting steps and at this point are just ignoring my questions. The only hint I got was that maybe possibly some spam filtering is happening on the carrier end. Before I go down the rabbit hole of troubleshooting I just want to know if there is something obvious that would prevent me from being able to do what I am trying to do.

I know the obvious solution is to use a 3rd party app (even the support agent suggested this instead of answering my questions) but our group has partially outgrown social media and most iMessage users would sooner part ways with their own arm than download another messaging app 😐

I think we are getting closer to mainstream RCS (which should hopefully solve this) but I can't wait that long and I'm confused that in 2024 we do not have a good way to group text cross platform. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 REPLY 1

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Lorenzo99 are you using Google Message? or other Message app?

did you try to clear cache or clear data to start fresh and try?

and this is the limit I found:

According to this site: https://chromeunboxed.com/google-messages-100-person-group-chat-limit-increase The limit on E2EE (requiring RCS to be enabled for all participants; no iPhone users) messages is now 100. 

Generally, group messages are sent as MMS (which iPhone users can use). That limit remains 20.

The consistent "workaround" for this limitation is to use something like Google Chat or similar. That, of course, requires all the participants to be users of the chosen app.

If you have iOS users, or folks who do not use RCS for their messaging, the limit appears to r

emain 20.

Need Help? Let's chat.