cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going out of town for a while

wzywhy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I am going to be out of town for about six months to deal with some family issues. During that time, do I still need to pay 20 bucks a month for my plan or do I just need to pay some minimum registration fee ?

Thanks in advance!

15 REPLIES 15

Tarah-gve
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You have 90 days for your phone to be in active with out top ups before you'll loose your number.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wzywhy wrote:
So I should pay for my telephone bills every 90 days in order to keep my account, right ? Also, do I need to pay like a month's bill or the accumulated bills for the 90 days ? Thanks in advance!

My March 16 Post is pretty clear, have a read at it if you missed it. You can get almost 7 months active/suspended account if you just pay once in those seven months. Exact details are in that post of March 16

Hello @wzywhy,

Public Mobile is a prepaid service on a 30 days basis. You do not accumulate unpaid months.

When you pay, you pay for 30 days in advance.

Example : If you account has expired on 2015-04-15, you decide to renew (pay) for 30 days on 2015-06-18, then your account is active until 2015-07-17.

Date format used above : YYYY-MM-DD

wzywhy
So I should pay for my telephone bills every 90 days in order to keep my account, right ? Also, do I need to pay like a month's bill or the accumulated bills for the 90 days ? Thanks in advance!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Your PLAN will be put into expired status after 30 days of nonpayment, but your ACCOUNT won't be deactivated until the 91st day on non- payment.

I hope that the above clarifies matters for you.

wzywhy

I mean 90 days instead of 30 days

wzywhy

So my account can still be active for 30 days without paying?

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@MikeOxlong 

@MikeOxlong wrote:
 Not only that, but your not committed yo a particular plan or setup each and every month. You just select what you want, whenever you want, for free. No bs like this provider.

You're only committed to a particular rate plan if you're on a grandfathered plan and do not wish to lose it for exceeding 90 days of inactivity. If you're using the new rate plans you can change which features/rate plan you want each month.

It depends on what the person is using to say which carrier is more cost effective. For example;
$55 Speak-out: 300 CAN Wide minutes, 1GB, US Text
$50 Public: Unlimited CAN Wide minutes, 1GB

I personally don't text/talk to anyone outside Canada so i'd be better to save the $5 with Public, and there are users that may use well over 300 anytime minutes.  

You should also compare the coverage, Speak Out runs off Rogers' coverage map, where Public goes off of TELUS', depending on where you live one might have a lot better reception than the other. 

MikeOxlong
Speak out from 7-eleven beats this hands down. You can not top up for up to 6 months before they suspend your account. Not only that, but your not committed yo a particular plan or setup each and every month. You just select what you want, whenever you want, for free. No bs like this provider.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@makkhan28, I see where you are coming from if you plan was an expensive plan. I personally would feel the same.

However you month is wrong for the six month vacation period. You would only be out the $60+ tax and would have 210 days/7 months

Let say you go on vacation today March-16 for 7 months or say 210 days and March-16 is the 30th day of you plan, So starting March-17 you have 90 days and then that would approximately bring you to (90 days) say June-15 or so( which is about 3 months) then you pay $60 for your plan on June-15 which will keep your account active for 30 days ending July-14 and then again you have 90 days (3 months) then you are back from vacation after the 7 months/210 days so you simply make a payment of your $60 plan on the 90 day which is approximately Oct-12. So for $60 you kept your account active for 7 months/210 days.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you did have said plan, the $60 grandfathered, and timed out your top-ups properly you would in a sense only be paying $20 a month

maybe so, but w/o such option, lets say ppl with a gf plan, if your paying $60, well would it be prudent for PM to offer such an option, so we can at least save some $$$? Money spent on Services that aren't used due to vacation stuff is wasted $$$. If you were paying top $$$ for service,  Wouldn't you at least agree, especially if you were on a gf plan that is no longer available, and very precious, offering some plan to keep our a/c on life support while away beyond 3 months, If PM Offered such, and fee was $10 a month for example, and our gf plans were safe, that's savings that can make even the most pessimistic person feel relieved. Just my opinion. Paying full plan price once every 80 something days and not using service, to me, that would be a serious waste of $$$. Prepaid needs to have a remedy to this, or ppl may feel that they're throwing away the $$$. Something needs to be done so that our hard earned $$$ is being used to maximum potential, and not thrown away. New plans is one thing, choose cheapest plan, fine, gf plan, well, that's not an easy decision, so if for example, I went on vacation for 6 months, I wouldn't want to spend $120, $60 plan, if I wasn't able to use it, if they offered vacation thing, and fee was $10 or $15, I would be happy to retain my gf plan, and save money instead of paying full plan price, and not benefiting from it while on vacation.

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

PM is giving the customer a break by not expecting payment every 30 days before deleting the account. Of course, by not paying, the customer has no service, but still maintains the right to keep one's account, assuming that payment is made no later than 90 days after plan expiry.

maybe PM should consider such an option. ppl do go on vacations all the time, maybe not 6 months, but a few do. If PM offered that option, that gives PM A Notch in its Checklist of must-haves to maintain that competitive edge, and send the other Prepaids packing. There can only be one Ultimate Prepaid in the Country, and that's PM, LOL

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Public Mobile deactivates accounts on the 91st day after a 30-day billing cycle ends.

If, for instance, your plan is scheduled to expire on March 3, make your regular $20 payment on the 85th day after March 4. You can make it on the 90th day, but, if there is a glitch in paying, you will have run out of time.

Assuming that you pay on the 85th day, your plan will renew on that date for another 30 days, including the date of payment.

Since you will be gone 6 months, repeat the above once again.

Aside from the above, there is no account-holding fee.

Need Help? Let's chat.