cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting some insanely slow data speeds, need help

sinasdf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys,

I switched from Koodo to PM a week ago due to the 12 gig promotion.

Unfortunately the data speeds I'm getting have been embarrassingly bad to the point that I can't take full advantage of the offer. I can't even watch videos without having to buffer the video for 1 minute. Even simple sites like reddit take about 10 seconds to fully load on LTE, which was never the case with Koodo.

My phone is a LG nexus 5 which I have used for 2 years, and I also followed the APN settings to the point.

Here are my last 3 speedtests:

0.02 up, 1.39 down

0.3 up, 2.24 down

0.21 up, 3.69 down

The tests I ran last week were just as bad.

I really don't know what is wrong. At first I thought it was a Telus issue, since I'm very far from the closest tower (I'm near Downsview Airport in Toronto), but Koodo/PM are on the same network.

I really need help because these speeds are driving my insane.

15 REPLIES 15

eyunie

I read on Wiki that before the speed 3.1 Mbit/s for downloads and 1.8 Mbit/s for uploads. 

However, does anyone know what speed I should be getting?

sinasdf

From what I read you should be getting faster speeds.

Keep running tests throughout the day to get an average

eyunie

I just ran the test. 8.63 down and 0.14 upload. is that normal?

sinasdf

Thanks but I ported a week ago. I thought I'd wait it out and here we are a week later with the same bad speeds!

soleimani
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you just port your number, you may need to wait for a while. I have LG G3 and when I ported my number from Kooodo to PM it took 15-20 and it was still on 3G instead of LTE. after that it switched to LTE but with low speeds and after couple of reset and 10 minutes it started to work

sinasdf

I know right? It's very confusing as the only thing I changed was provider/SIM cards. 

I appreciate your help guys!

hung52

I have no idea then. Maybe a MOD's can explain this

sinasdf

@nishufan I never did an official test with Koodo because I never had any problem, but if I were to guess it would be about 20 mbp down.

Any video I picked would load pretty quickly, unlike with PM where it can take 30 seconds or so.

I guess I can try when I get home - it just doesn't make any sense how the speed would suddenly stink at work when they share Telus/Bell towers between Koodo/PM

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What speed you got when you with Koodo? @sinasdf  I usually got 1-2 bars signal in my house. @hung52 The speed is around 12-16 down. If too many people share one tower, it also can affect the speed. Did you try different area? 

sinasdf

@hung52 I'm testing at work, so the testing environment is no different than when I was with Koodo and had great speeds.

As for bars, its anywhere from 50% to 75%

It's just really weird how with Koodo everything was great and now with PM it's very bad. If they share the same Telus/Bell network, what is possibly causing the issue?

hung52

Also it depends where you are at. If your in basement... then thats why its slow. Otherwise how many signal bars do you get? If its like 1-2bars it explains why its slow.

sinasdf

@hung52 Yep I tried all that you suggested and the speed is still bad.

Even with LTE, my down is 6.6 and up 0.38

I'm honestly running out of ideas as to what to do!

sinasdf

@nishufanYes I reset my network settings multiple times, no big difference at all

hung52

Try to remove the simcard and turn off LTE > reset network and restart your phone. Re-insert your the PM simcard and re-open the LTE. 

Second option: Sometimes if you have a case/cover on your phone, this might be the problem. Try to remove the case/cover and see if the speed is going up. Also turn off your wifi while using LTE.

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @sinasdf

It's very unusual. Do you reset your phone network setting? 

Need Help? Let's chat.