cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a ton of spam calls since switching

oadest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hoping someone could help with this issue as it's starting to get very annoying.  

Since switching to Public, I have been receiving a ton of spam phone calls from area codes all over the USA and Canada.

I let every call go to voicemail and I've blocked every number that calls but a new one calls every time.  Also, before it's suggested; I've been on the Do Not Call list for years.

Here's some screenshots to show what I'm talking about.  Those two random Ontario numbers were scam calls as well.

Screenshot_20170411-192536.jpgScreenshot_20170411-192551.jpgScreenshot_20170411-192604.jpg

31 REPLIES 31

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I used to be getting a lot of spam when I was with FIDO and had to use the app to filter the call.  Then some time later, it stopped calling.  Not sure why.

Thanks @TheOldVR, it's been a while since I signed up.

TheOldVR

@stonechucker wrote:

I'm not sure, but I recall something about the Canadian Do Not Call list is valid for 2 or 3 years, and then you need to resubmit the number.  I could be wrong on this.

@stonechucker.... should not expire, please see below:

Is my registration permanent?

Once you register your number, it stays on the National DNCL indefinitely, and there is no need to re-register.

If you are changing your residential, wireless, fax or VoIP number (for example, if you are moving), we ask that you remove your number from the list by calling the National DNCL Service Line at:

• Call toll-free 1-866-580-DNCL (1-866-580-3625) or
  • Call toll-free 1-888-DNCL-TTY (1-888-362-5889) only if you are calling from a TTY device

Remember that if you want to, you can register your new number(s) with the National DNCL.

<Top>

How can I make sure my number is registered?

You can verify your registration online or by phone.

Online:

By phone:

• Call toll-free 1-866-580-DNCL (1-866-580-3625) or
  • Call toll-free 1-888-DNCL-TTY (1-888-362-5889) only if you are calling from a TTY device

Once you register your number, it does not expire, and will stay on the list indefinitely unless you remove it.

I'm not sure, but I recall something about the Canadian Do Not Call list is valid for 2 or 3 years, and then you need to resubmit the number.  I could be wrong on this.

TheOldVR

I can't stop these guys calling from India telling me that I'be either won a cruise, or that I have to give $25,000 to get rid of my tax problems.

It got to the point of calls from the "Canada Government Tax Agency" once a week!!

That is awesome
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
That's fantastic.! Bravo!

oadest

Thanks for the assistance; I have been on the DNC list since its inception.  

I used to never get spam calls when on my old provider so I just thought it weird that it all started happening after switching.  

I also want to clarify to some others offering advice about writing a letter to the company or asking them to stop; the calls are all spam/phishing.  I let all go to voicemail and usually get a message saying "Your case number is iR 7416 the moment you receive this message. I need you to return the call the issue at hand is extremely time sensitive the hotline to my desk ins is 770-837-0940. I repeat. It's 778-370-9040 don't disregard this message do return the call now if you don't return the call, and I don't hear from your attorney either then the only thing I can do is wish you a good luck as the situation unfolds on you. Goodbye. Goodbye."  

I've installed TrueCaller and going through my call log see pretty much every one of those numbers tagged as spam or scam.

I agreed with @kav2001c
Few years back when lost my old number because if account inactive I was out of country for over 3 years then got new number then start getting random calls I explain so many time I just got this number but they never stop i did write a letter then then they took my name off from list
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

If it's a Canadian company calling you simple answer is write them a letter and when they call again file a complaint

https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint

I actually tagged Telus once for this (I have no idea why my number was associated with someone else's name in thier system but I got fed up and got it removed once and for all)

Acekiller

he said he has been on the Do not call list for a few years..

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @oadest,

Sorry to hear about the spam calls you're receiving. Many good suggestions on this thread, but if I may, I would also add your number to the "Canadian National do not call list". You can add your number to the list by clicking here. From my experience, this has helped many people in reducing, if not completely eliminating many of the so-called "spam" calls one would receive.

Cheers,

Jeremy

dboxtvinfo
Email me how too do that, of course you can also tell me here. Interested in anything with CRTC

dboxtvinfo
Pretty much a bravo. You read my thoughts. It can be dealt without changing numbers also. The choices are there.

this happened to me a lot before I switched to Public Mobile, it has gone down significantly since I joined. I have a lot of numbers in my blocked numbers list. It could just be bad luck that its happening to you. 

oadest
Thanks for the advice.
I downloaded True Dialer and reported all the numbers to the CRTC. Hopefully it helps a bit.

@Andy1000
If I am you I will just add them on my block lists I would recommend true caller it's helps alots

Andy1000

I use to get calls from random phone #'s even before I switch to PM, it turn out that all calls came from the same person using an app to chage  his caller ID, the guy from a collection office looking for someone. once I talked to them and told them that I had no idea who is the guy they're looking for is the calls stoped for few months, I still get a call every few days but I ignore it.

@mimmo agreed with her that's what I used to do when I was with freedom when I signup for plan with them they gave me new number but but that number used to be own by someone else was getting lots or toll free calls first few weeks I tried to explain to them but I was keep getting those call I downloaded true caller app use that as a regular dialer it's neat block lots of spam call by its own if you set it up properly if you still get few then just block them that will solve your issue if you don't want to switch number

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I used to get the occasional 011 call, i just didn't answer them. I rarley get them now.  the only thing to do is call screen/block as you are doing now.  that is the only real option without changing your number which you did not want to do.

I would say try to change number if you don't mind changing number

Alot of those numbers look fake

Maybe someone is calling you to harrass you

The calls have nothing to do with Public or Telus

dboxtvinfo
No other solution. Must change number. Yes of course I saw the not changing number. Thank you for pointing it out. BRAVO !

srlawren

@dboxtvinfo wrote:
Just change numbers!

@dboxtvinfo he or she was asking for a solution "that does not include changing my number".  Did you notice?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dboxtvinfo
Nice....alot of screenshots. BRAVO

srlawren

@Shutdown that was just answered 12 mins before your response:  @oadest ported from Telus

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dboxtvinfo
Oh...if you don't change numbers then yiu can block phone # depending on what smart phone you use

dboxtvinfo
Just change numbers!

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Who did you switch from? Rogers? Maybe they sold your number to telemarketers for leaving them. I can see them doing this cause free money to them and they won't be pissing off their customer since your a former customer now.

oadest
Transfered my number over from Telus.
Any suggestions on stopping this that does not include changing my number?
Need Help? Let's chat.