cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 4 Little/No Signal in Basement

kchow91
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I have been with PM for about a month now. I switched from Wind and the service outside has been amazing. However, in my basement my signal seems to be worse than Wind's service.. which I am quite amazed as PM is part of Telus. I am not that far from windows or anything and my reception was decent when I was on Rogers. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve this?

Phone is a Note 4 from Wind. 

3 REPLIES 3

qbellxo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It does have to do with how close you are to the towers because im in my base 24/7 and I get perfect service. Honestly, I'm not here to discourage you from using PM but I can understand your frustration considering I'm in my basement all the time, but maybe you should try moblicity. Thats the only other company with fair plans and decent service and they can help you faster than PM.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @kchow91

It must be the location because I park in an underground parking garage at two locations every day and my signal is 3-4 bars (H+).  I have taken calls in elevators as well.  

If your phone is connected to LTE with very low signal, try switching LTE off and connect to HSPA+.. the 3G signal is stronger in hard to reach places.  There is a setting for "Preferred network type" under "Mobile Networks" in your phone settings where you can do this.

lqu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @kchow91, the network signal depends on how close is the tower to your location, and the penetration power of the radio wave.  I found Rogers/Fido has better signal for the basement since GSM (2G) that they offered is better to penetrate, but Telus only has 3G (no 2G like Rogers/Fido).  However, when you compare Wind against Public Mobile, both of them are 3G only, and it really depends on the tower.  There are signal booster in the market to be installed at home so that the network signal is "amplified" to your phone, but it is not very common.  If your reception is not good at basement, and you want to receive the signal for voice call, one suggestion is to buy a bluetooth enabled home phone which pair with your cell phone.  Put the cell phone upstairs where the signal is good, and bring that bluetooth handset to the basement.  I assume that you have wifi at home, and do not want to use the cell phone data.  Please review if it works for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.