Did you mean: 

Frequently getting disconnected from 5G network on iPhone 13

flic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

since new activation on august 29th
did all the network resetting on the phone, rebooted and all to no avail

kinda sucks since big telco Telus is behind this service

22 REPLIES 22

8 bits per byte. So that 20 = 160Mbps. Interesting that you only got 80Mbps on LTE. We've seen other speed tests that show similar numbers for both. See if I can do this right:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/15043?lightbox-user-imag...

flic

oh sorry, scale is at MB/s, so thats over 200mbps

Well that's not impressive. Nowhere near the advertised 250megs. I wonder if you were to be somewhere in your city whether you would get better speeds and connection. I wonder if maybe the antenna on the phone is being problematic.

flic

got over 20mbps and yes on the same server

@flic wrote:

LTE max-out at 10mbps on speedtest app, so I will not switch to that mode
again, joined PM to have 5G so the settings will be set at 5G

@flic , I’m sorry! You do what works best for you. If you get better service & speed set to 5G Auto on your iPhone keep it that way! All we can do is make suggestions on what has worked for Us. I thought you wanted help so were just trying to help. 😞 I misunderstood. 

Have a good day!

And what results did you get with 5G?

@flic 

give LTE one more try but do this first, Reset network settings
General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Again, if you can make LTE works at good speed, it is better battery life

flic

LTE max-out at 10mbps on speedtest app, so I will not switch to that mode
again, joined PM to have 5G so the settings will be set at 5G

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@flic , please try their suggestions to set your iPhone to LTE & reboot your iPhone then see if your signal improves. They’re just trying to help you with what has worked for them. 🙂 You still made the right choice with your plan. Much better than what I have, faster speed & more data! I think you’d do better setting your phone to LTE. You get much better speed than a 3G Speed Plan or 4G Speed Plan (Thats your data). 

Also, now & then reboot your phone or simply turn on airplane mode for a few seconds & turn it back off. I have a much better signal (full bars) at home in my apartment yet right in town (small town) I only have about 2 bars most of the time! My phone still works for calls fine though.

@flic wrote:

so, you're saying that switching from 4G to 5G is worthless??

@flic its not worthless, it is the speed and data amount

for speed, I explained the difference above.  And any customers on any plan can access 3G, 4G and 5G networks, but the speed limit is the difference

3G: limit up to 3Mbps on LTE and 5G networks
4G: limit up to 100Mbps on LTE and 5G networks
5G: limit up to 250Mbps on LTE and 5G networks

for data, if you need the big amount of data, anything over 20GB, they are only offered on 5G plans

No, because you're buying speed. That speed can be found on LTE or 5G.

Adding - In the other direction, I have a 5G-able phone. I can select to use 5G. I turn on data. I get the 5G symbol up top. But I'm on a so-called "3G speed" plan. I don't get so-called "5G speed" when connected to 5G. Nor LTE. A curious oddity around here is that using actual 3G HSPA gets better speed throughput than when connected to LTE. But there's some lag with some content.

@flic wrote:

I just joined PM to have 5G and leave old 4G provider

so, why would I want to do that?

@flic 

5G could use up your battery faster

in PM, the 4G plan has a hard limit of 100Mbps

But you are on a 5G speed plan, the hard limit is 250Mbps.  Even you are connected on 4G network, your speed will be over the 100Mbps limit for those on the 4G plans, so you can still reach 250Mbps

And even on iPhone, the 5G Auto does not use 5G all the time for battery saving.  It will only access 5G when big amount of data is needed or the 4G network is slow

flic

so, you're saying that switching from 4G to 5G is worthless??

Because 5G here is really about speed and you'll get the same speed on LTE.

flic

I just joined PM to have 5G and leave old 4G provider

so, why would I want to do that?

Can you set it to 4G LTE instead?

flic

yes, set to 5G Auto in settings

@flic 

is your network set to 5G Auto?

for voice on 3G, it's actually ok.  Nothing wrong with that as most of us still using 3G for voice. But of course, you should be using VoLTE.  I do not think you can toggle the VoLTE option as it should be a hidden by PM, but you can check here:

Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Voice & Data,

flic

not getting any better...barely getting 1bar in downtown Montreal
on regular phone call now at 3G

@flic wrote:

changed the automatic network to PM and it seems to have fix the issue for now

thanks LitlLdy for your help 👍😉

@flic , thank you for the update 😃. I’m hoping it stays! Sometimes resetting network settings helps also but may need to manually set the network to Public Mobile again after phone reboots & your Wi-Fi & Bluetooth settings!

Edit: I forgot to ask is you have your phone set to 5G Auto, 5G, LTE or 3G? I have my iPhone 14 Pro set to 5G Auto & using the latest iOS update 16.6

flic

changed the automatic network to PM and it seems to have fix the issue for now

thanks LitlLdy for your help 👍😉

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@flic wrote:

since new activation on august 29th
did all the network resetting on the phone, rebooted and all to no avail

kinda sucks since big telco Telus is behind this service

@flic , please manually set your Network to Public Mobile & not on Automatic to see if it helps. 
Also, check that your iPhone is updated to the latest iOS 16.6 (not sure if that matters but as an extra measure)

You may need help from a CS_Agent to fix some issues on your account. 

You can send a private message to a CS_Agent using the link: ->   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Customer Support Agents are available from:

• Monday to Sunday: 9 AM to 10 PM EST

A CS_Agent will respond back in your Community mailbox (envelope icon) at the top right of this page to the left of your community avatar on your computer or by clicking on your avatar on your device.

Need Help? Let's chat.