cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Promo: I have an ON number but live in BC.

msoriano
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

with Freedom I have Canada-wide calling so it's not a problem for me to call and be called from establishments in BC. 

However, I'm wanting to switch over to PM and I'd like to retain my number- would it be possible to retain my number and have BC-wide calling or would I be restricted to ON-wide calling since my number is technically based in Toronto? 

Would appreciate a quick response as I'm looking to switch over pronto 🙂 

5 REPLIES 5

@msoriano wrote:

with Freedom I have Canada-wide calling so it's not a problem for me to call and be called from establishments in BC. 

However, I'm wanting to switch over to PM and I'd like to retain my number- would it be possible to retain my number and have BC-wide calling or would I be restricted to ON-wide calling since my number is technically based in Toronto? 

Would appreciate a quick response as I'm looking to switch over pronto 🙂 

If signing up to a plan with only pronvincial voice calling included, you'd have BC-wide outgoing calls, but incoming calls wouldn't work at all.

Public Mobile does offer plans with Canada-wide calling, but the pricing is different, and unfortuantely, there is no unlimited Canada-wide voice add-on that can be stacked on top of a provincial calling plan.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite wrote:

Robot Sad No luck for you today. Province wide calling is determined by the area code of the phone number. You would be condemned to purchasing long distance add-ons; $15 for 400 minutes. You cannot receive calls to your Ontario based number when outside Ontario without a long distance add-on, or some other workaround.

For example, forwarding your Ontario Public Mobile number to voip from Fongo.com, using an Ontario number, and answered in BC on wifi or cellular data. 

Of course, outgoing calls to BC would be fine, when located in BC.

It should be noted, however, that MANY people have reported being able to receive calls when out-of-province, even without having any long distance addon minutes.  So while it's technically the policy that province-wide calling plans require long distance add-ons to receive calls when out of province, it appears to be somewhat glitchy in its execution.

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There is an excellent article explaining this at the following link.  Many people simply add on an appropriate long distance package to get around some of these problems.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Robot Sad No luck for you today. Province wide calling is determined by the area code of the phone number. You would be condemned to purchasing long distance add-ons; $15 for 400 minutes. You cannot receive calls to your Ontario based number when outside Ontario without a long distance add-on, or some other workaround.

For example, forwarding your Ontario Public Mobile number to voip from Fongo.com, using an Ontario number, and answered in BC on wifi or cellular data. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@msoriano, my thoughts are you would require a BC number as it is based on area codes fro the Province wide calling. I would private message a mod to clarify though.  You can find out how to do that here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.