cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Mobile- Important for Competition

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This only proves how important fourth players are to the market.  I believe once Freedom Mobile's network is perfected, even more customers will switch over to them.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-telus-bell-promo-targeted-freedom/

8 REPLIES 8

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Michael77 wrote:

This only proves how important fourth players are to the market.  I believe once Freedom Mobile's network is perfected, even more customers will switch over to them.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-telus-bell-promo-targeted-freedom/

Yes but you also need to look at the timing, which is during the holiday shopping season. I don't think this is indicative of a public price war. That said, it's not entirely correct that Canadians pay some of the highest wireless rates in the world. A lot of the studies look at market prices for plans but they don't look at loyalty offers which are often much lower than regular priced plans. We're certainly comparable to the US but nowhere near as cheap in Europe. In Germany for example you can get iPhone 7+ for just one euro with an 85 euros plan but you get a whopping 25 gigs of data and free EU roaming. And if you bundle with home Internet it becomes even cheaper. So you gotta shop around.

Michael77

@bilal684 wrote:

I'm still crossing my fingers. PM needs to respond to all the price drops. I've got a bunch of people I can bring over but with the actual plans offered by PM, pretty sure no one will come....

Unfortunately, I don't think PM is interested in getting bigger. If they were, there would have been a promotion by now.

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm still crossing my fingers. PM needs to respond to all the price drops. I've got a bunch of people I can bring over but with the actual plans offered by PM, pretty sure no one will come....

Acekiller

The more the merrier!

@Michael77 I appreciate hope & the appearance of competition

But let's be honest, we really only have 2 national carriers at this point

Rogers or Telus+Bell

(I refuse to acknowledge Freedoms small zoned response as a real national carrier)

If Telus+Bell lack the $$$ to build out their own network and would rather share (which BTW is what most of Euro does) how can anyone expect Shaw to drop that kind of capital cost?

The cost of network is the main reason no US carriers (Verizon was a rumour for a while) would never expand up here. They are engaged in a cut throat market down south

Michael77

@kav2001c wrote:

@Michael77 it will never be "perfected" because capital costs are way too high

LTE is already slowing as more users get B66 iPhones

The smaller regional players (TBayTel, Videotron, etc) are far better for competition

The idea we can support 4 national carriers is quite absurd (heck the US can not even do this with far greater population & density, no Euro country can do this either despite most people over there use more than 1 SIM)

@kav2001c,

I guess one can hope. Smiley Frustrated

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Michael77 it will never be "perfected" because capital costs are way too high

LTE is already slowing as more users get B66 iPhones

The smaller regional players (TBayTel, Videotron, etc) are far better for competition

The idea we can support 4 national carriers is quite absurd (heck the US can not even do this with far greater population & density, no Euro country can do this either despite most people over there use more than 1 SIM)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

We have always known that competition is good for the consumer and that there isn't enough of it in Canada.  That is why our cell rates are the highest in the world year after year.  Regardless of the level of competition, the consumer needs to educate themselves and make best given the current situation.  This is lacking sometimes and by as much as competition.

Need Help? Let's chat.