cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Long Distance (Google)

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Interesting side effect from Google Home or Google Home Mini.

I personally look at these things as being the fidget spinners for 2018 but we shall see if more functions are added or no.

If you have a provincial calling plan (I suspect most members here do) and you link your Public Mobile account to your Google device, you can then use Google to make free calls to any Canadian or USA phone numbers.

No extra costs, nothing to do other than register your number.

(They also have some good smart home functionality. Music and movies are useless since nothing is supported though so I would never recommend for that)

24 REPLIES 24

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am yeah I was quite surprised at quality I had too

I had serious doubts about speaking into a Mini speaker

But it seems a very good feature to give Google's Home a boost

The quality of the wifi will also have an impact.  My home internet is pretty descent.  Now if only this speaker would handle incoming calls.  I can register my google voice number in that case. 

@will13am yeah I was quite surprised at quality I had too

I had serious doubts about speaking into a Mini speaker

But it seems a very good feature to give Google's Home a boost

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am no you do not even need to use / install hang outs. Google Home has its own app (which to be quite honest seems similar to Google Voice but I last used that years ago, I just got the email about deleting my Voice number if not used in next 7 days)

You basically open the Home app & it asks do you want to verify number. If yes they send you a txt with a code that you then type into phone.

@srlawren nope the 3 apps are totally seperate, so theoretically you could have Home, Voice, and Hangouts all registered for same cell number

@will13am wrote:

I take it that you need to go into hangouts and confirm that the cell number is showing in the list of verified phone numbers???  As I said, I have two numbers there, my Canadian cell number and my google voice number which is an American number.  I will just have to try and make a call to see what the behavior is when there are multiple numbers registered in google voice.

I just tried the calling.  I purposely left the number assignment out to see what would happen.  The first time trying the service, I got a warning about emergency services.  The call was showing from an unknown caller.  The second time I tried, I still did not assign a number and I got feedback that I can assign a number via google home app.  Once I launched the app, the first thing that shows up is an option to assign a number.  I had thought that since the thing is attached to my google account, the default would be my google voice number(s).  So, there are no defaults here.

BTW, the voice quality very good.  I was talking at the speaker from about 2m distance and the microphone picked up my voice very clearly.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c I must have done that [verify my number] previously with the Google Home app, I suppose.  I remember experimenting with it breifly a few years ago when I bought [the original generation] Chromecast to try out but ultimatley returned.  Or, maybe I did it in early December when I set up my Google Home Mini using the app and just forgot about it having done so.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am no you do not even need to use / install hang outs. Google Home has its own app (which to be quite honest seems similar to Google Voice but I last used that years ago, I just got the email about deleting my Voice number if not used in next 7 days)

You basically open the Home app & it asks do you want to verify number. If yes they send you a txt with a code that you then type into phone.

@srlawren nope the 3 apps are totally seperate, so theoretically you could have Home, Voice, and Hangouts all registered for same cell number

@will13am wrote:

I take it that you need to go into hangouts and confirm that the cell number is showing in the list of verified phone numbers???  As I said, I have two numbers there, my Canadian cell number and my google voice number which is an American number.  I will just have to try and make a call to see what the behavior is when there are multiple numbers registered in google voice.

srlawren

Thanks @koimr1!  To be honest, although I do often suggest Hangouts Dialer for outbound calls due to the Caller ID feature, I haven't actually personally used it much as I'm typicaly in Canada and making calls using my regular talk service (with add-on LD mins for my occasional LD usage--one add on lasts me ages).  All that said, the call I made this morning was over Google Home, not over Hangouts.  I should have been more clear; the Hangouts part of the discussion is because I had previously verified my PM phone number in Hangouts Dialer and set it to use that as my outbound caller ID.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am I think that the Hangouts number verification must be sufficient.  I just tried a brief test call to my mother and I could tell she knew it was me when answering, so my number must have come through.  The experience was so/so, it seemed like she couldn't really hear me talk if she was already talking (like a half-duplex speakerphone), but that might just have been her because she has trouble hearing on the phone in general anyway (she's nearly 78).  

It's funny, I did this just the other day with MY mom. 🙂

Normally I use Fongo when I'm in my basement office but thought I would try the Hangouts Dialer. First thing I found was that because I had a Google Voice number I was not able to use my PM number for displaying when calling out; I had to go and delete my GV number entirely before the option became available in the Hangouts Dialer app.

Then I tried calling my mom and the experience was pretty poor. Noticable delay between myself speaking and her answering, I never have this with Fongo. So for now I will stick with Fongo. 🙂

Interestingly enough, Fongo does have a Caller ID setting too:

fongo call id.jpg

I do believe it's for paid users only, which I am one. I can also say that it doesn't work as I know for sure my wife still sees my Fongo number on her phone. 🙂

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am I think that the Hangouts number verification must be sufficient.  I just tried a brief test call to my mother and I could tell she knew it was me when answering, so my number must have come through.  The experience was so/so, it seemed like she couldn't really hear me talk if she was already talking (like a half-duplex speakerphone), but that might just have been her because she has trouble hearing on the phone in general anyway (she's nearly 78).  

@srlawren, data calls can be really finicky.  Although the data rate is not large, the latency required to ensure a smooth voice is huge.  Any bit of jitter in the data and voices start to sound choppy.  I am sure many have tried data only plans and have gone back to adding calling.  I will test my google account for calling this weekend. 

closng

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I got a Google Home for Christmas and it was pretty cool, but I have Amazon Prime so instead of having to subscribe to a enw music provider I took the home back and got an Echo with Alexa.  I know it can do calling but I haven't tried it yet.  I guess I will do that today.

Yea, that's one of the reasons why I'm considering the Echo, because I already have Amazon Prime and also have a FireTV stick. I'm more invested in Amazon than in Adroid.

srlawren

I've been seeing ads about the Amazon service, it certainly is available in Canada now.  YouTube ad has a lady bummed out about the weather, and say Alexia, call Julie's cell (or a name anayway).  

Neat ad if you see it.

I just Hangout verified my cellular number the other day... waiting for my mini.

This is almost like having my old iphone and my other mac devices hooked up so I could Facetime / iMessage from my lack of service apartment.

srlawren

@Lg85 no offense, but I think I'd rather just buy the Google Home!  

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kav2001c Thank you for sharing this information! I was always debating whether to get the Amazon Echo or Google Home, but the long distance calling feature offered by Google had me leaning towards the Google Home. By the way, for those interested, National Post has a flash sale ending today where you can get a free Google Home by signing up for a one year subscription for $99. (Hopefully, this doesn't violate the forum rules)! 

I got a Google Home for Christmas and it was pretty cool, but I have Amazon Prime so instead of having to subscribe to a enw music provider I took the home back and got an Echo with Alexa.  I know it can do calling but I haven't tried it yet.  I guess I will do that today.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am it displays your cell phone number (if you enable it)

If you don't confirm the number (txt you a code) then it just shows unknown

I take it that you need to go into hangouts and confirm that the cell number is showing in the list of verified phone numbers???

@will13am I was about to ask the same thing but you beat me to it.  @kav2001c is it the Hangouts verification that's needed?  I actually have a Home Mini that was gifted to me not too long ago, but I haven't tried making any calls with it yet.  I have it placed in my kitchen where there isn't really anywhere to sit for a longer call but may next time I need to talk to my dad who is in New Brunswick I should give it a try.  

I'm pretty sure Alexa (the Amazon Dot devices) can do the same thing, though I'm not sure if it's enabled in Canada or not.  I think at first Google Home could only do calling in the US (like, from the US), but it was enabled in Canada shortly after.  

I've been enjoying my Home Mini so far, though I don't do a lot with it.  I did also get a Chromecast for Christmas that I'm thoroughly enjoying (prefect timing--had a few days off and was sick--was great to binge on a bunch of Netflix, CraveTV, and YouTube all on my older non-smart home theatre set-up!) and have dabbled with voice controlling it.  I think eventually I'd like to pick up a hub-based Harmony device to replace my Harmony One and have Google controlling it so I can launch new activities by voice etc.  That would be slick.  I'd also like to change a few of my bulbs eventually to smart bulbs but all of that is deferred for the moment.  And of course I've now completely digressed from the initial topic.  Sorry.

@kav2001c wrote:

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Waiting for mine!  Got the mini on a waitlist via Black Frida deal for just over $40 including taxx and free delivery.

Shipping shortly!

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for sharing this @kav2001c

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have a google home.  I heard about the ability to use it as phone for making outbound calls.  I have never tried it.  I wonder what phone number the recipient sees when google home is used to make the outbound call.  In my case, I do have my Canadian number added to google voice.  I also have a US google voice number that is used for call redirects when I make outbound calls on my phone.  I guess I will have to test this feature out and report back. 

@closng if you have no infrastructure the Amazon is superior

If you already own Google devices (eg Chromecast) then it's more personal taste as to who is "better"

I think many people are betting Google will have more long term support though, despite them playing catch up right now

closng

That's neat, I don't personally own one of these voice assistant but have been pondering to get one and was trying to read the differences between the Google Home Mini and the Echo Dot, this might sway me towards getting a Google Home Mini 🙂

Its a voice feature

So you would basically say "Ok Google dial mom" etc

And you can register 6 (I think?) different people per account 

So if it hears your voice will dial your mom, hears my voice will dial my mom

You don't even need to have your phone in the room (since call is being made via internet)

closng

Cool, thanks for the tip @kav2001c.

Can these calls only be made with Google Home/Google Home Mini? 

How does one go about making these calls? Do you need a separate dialer app?

(Sorry, totally newb to Android/Google)

Need Help? Let's chat.