cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Threads and Questions

Has anyone else noticed a drastic increase in "fake" questions and discussion threads?  I'm talking about the threads where it seems like (at least to me) that people are asking random "where do I buy a sim card", "does province-wide calling include calls within the province", or "what is 1+1"?  Okay, I'm being silly with those examples but it seems to me that a bunch of users have come out of no where posting the most basic questions, and it almost seems like some of these people are having discussions with themselves.

Anyone else have those same suspicions? Perhaps, it's my imagination and I definitely don't have any concrete proof of this but some of the topics lately seem to be rather odd.  Appologies to people who are legitimately asking questions.

11 REPLIES 11

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 

I need your address, so that I can ship you my old dusty foil hat. Woman Wink

P.S. Just kidding! I have noticed the same thing! Woman Sad

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed a drastic increase in "fake" questions and discussion threads?  I'm talking about the threads where it seems like (at least to me) that people are asking random "where do I buy a sim card", "does province-wide calling include calls within the province", or "what is 1+1"?  Okay, I'm being silly with those examples but it seems to me that a bunch of users have come out of no where posting the most basic questions, and it almost seems like some of these people are having discussions with themselves.

Anyone else have those same suspicions? Perhaps, it's my imagination and I definitely don't have any concrete proof of this but some of the topics lately seem to be rather odd.  Appologies to people who are legitimately asking questions.

By product of raising the rewards levels. Unfortunate but again part of raising the reward levels. As long as the mods look into the fake threads or maybe a “report” function for abuse 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sahands wrote:
"what is 1+1"

That would be dependant on what 1 is defined to be, if it's arabic numeral, geometrical, or something else like velocity (in which case the answer would not neccesarly be 2).

Smiley Very Happy

@sahands very true!

It could also be "the original flagship killer":  https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/one.  #neversettle.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Good catch!! It was pretty obvious to me, and before i get in touch with the team to resolve this issue, you caught it 🙂

The team is looking into this, and now that community rewards have increased, chances are high, but together, we will continue to keep an eye out to make the community a better place for everyone. 

dev_chris
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new here, and I can't help but imagine people would do this. It's not right, but it's the risk you take with a community supported service.

I happen to know some of the techinical side about cell phones, how the plans compare to different plans in Canada, and what to expect with various versions of iPhones. 

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
"what is 1+1"

That would be dependant on what 1 is defined to be, if it's arabic numeral, geometrical, or something else like velocity (in which case the answer would not neccesarly be 2).

Smiley Very Happy

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Oh you have noticed that too.  How about selecting your own response as the solution or someone who they Bravo WAY more than anyone else selected as the solution and the answer is actually totally incorrect.  Yes it has been noticed and being looked after.

I know this isn't always the case because people can start to participate whenever they like (and the increased rewards don't hurt), but a red flag to me are users who have had accounts open for rather long period of time, never talk or reply to anything, and all of sudden, are in every thread. 

I know there are going to be a bunch of users are going to be unfairly lumped into categories like that (who really are trying to help out but just didn't have time before), but I would think that people don't usually just drastically change their posting habbits like that.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@computergeek541 wrote:

Oh you have noticed that too.  How about selecting your own response as the solution or someone who they Bravo WAY more than anyone else selected as the solution and the answer is actually totally incorrect.  Yes it has been noticed and being looked after.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 yes, many of us are thinking the same thing.  I think a couple of the oracles are on the case.  Paging @NDesai @ShawnC13 🙂

Thanks for confirming that there are at least others thinking the same thing and that I probably won't get jumped on for starting some far-fetched consipricacy theory.  I haven't done any research on this, but it's just a feeling I was getting.  Something doesn't seem right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There seems to be a concerted campaign of some users creating threads, replying to them, "solving" them, bravo-ing them etc. Presumably in an effort to illegitimately gain rewards.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 yes, many of us are thinking the same thing.  I think a couple of the oracles are on the case.  Paging @NDesai @ShawnC13 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.