cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explanation of different types of LTE

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi guys 

I saw many people confused about PM LTE network. I will try to explain to them. Hope it proves useful for you.

Here are some terms related to our topic:

LTE: This stands for Long Term Evolution, it often used interchangeably with 4G. 

LTE Advanced (LTE-A):  A major enhancement of the LTE standard.

Spectrum: The radio waves that send and receive our phone data have to stick to specific radio frequencies.The lower frequencies, down near the 700MHz band, give better signal penetration, offering stronger coverage in buildings, carparks, elevators and the like. The higher frequencies up toward the 2,600MHz band have a higher capacity for data.

Carrier Aggregation (CA): This is a major component of LTE-Advanced, more commonly referred to as LTE-A. Carrier aggregation uses multiple bands of a 4G service to speed up data transfers. 

Category X Device: The speed you experience isn't just about the what the network can offer, it's also about what your mobile device can accept. Category 6 devices, for example, can get a theoretical maximum of 300Mbps, while Category 4 devices get 150Mbps. The higher the Category number, the faster the speeds. Category devices are often shorted to 'Cat', so you may see Category 6 devices labeled as Cat 6.

This figure showed the different speed between different networks:

main-qimg-f7749f6f3c3308d68a099f5e2e176dc5.png

PM is using Telus network. There is no difference between PM customer and Telus customers or Kodoo customers when they using the same network. This is also the reason why Kodoo/ Telus locked phone can work with PM.

Here is the LTE network of PM(Telus):

Untitled.jpg

A suggestion for PM customers:

Make sure your phone support at least Band 4 before you move to PM or purchase a new phone.Band 4 is the main frequencies used on Telus network. Otherwise, you may not get the LTE      services. Kodoo/Telus phone is a good option if you get confused. Thanks

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/australian-lte-advanced-4g-carrier-aggregation-explained/

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-the-E-H-H+-and-3G-that-appear-when-we-turn-our-...

4 REPLIES 4

craigroxborough
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

SUPER HELPFUL. Thanks!

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A well written and informative post, thank you @nishufan

@canucks4life wrote:

"PM is using Telus network. There is no difference between PM customer and Telus customers or Kodoo customers when they using the same network. This is also the reason why Kodoo/ Telus locked phone can work with PM."

Has this been fully verified for all Telus handsets Android/BB/iPhone?

I have also seen a  Koodo phone that required unlocking before they could be used with Telus.  I was playing with a friend's Galaxy Core LTE from Koodo before and if you inserted any Telus sim card, it required the phone to be unlocked befeore you could use it.  If you then inserted any Koodo sim, it continued to work as normal. That particular phone, for some reaason, was locked to Koodo, and only Koodo.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

"PM is using Telus network. There is no difference between PM customer and Telus customers or Kodoo customers when they using the same network. This is also the reason why Kodoo/ Telus locked phone can work with PM."

Has this been fully verified for all Telus handsets Android/BB/iPhone? I've had different experiences in the past Telus/Koodo iPhones would be interchangable no problem however most Android or BB devices would prompt for unlock code.

Need Help? Let's chat.