cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing PM customer looking to switch from SIM to eSIM - can I keep my existing phone number?

canada_one
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I purchase an eSIM on the PM app, do I need to do anything special to make sure I keep my existing phone number?

4 REPLIES 4

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hairbag1 wrote:

@canada_one 

your PM cell number can be used with your esim.

I thought of getting esim but reconsidered after finding out that the esim will only work on the original phone you got it for. If you need to get a new phone...you need to get a new esim whereas the hard sim can just be removed from old phone and installed in new phone.

Absolutely this is a flaw with how the carriers have implemented esims.  It makes even less sense if you consider that esim is just virtual and sim is physical.  The telcos make more to resell you the esim to move to a new device.  I believe that telcos can transfer esim from one device to another but they choose to charge for it.  Maybe once esims become the norm they'll no longer be able to charge for it.  Who will be the revolutionary telco to make esim permanently free?? lol

rikray
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just follow the esim instructions when you purchase it through the app on the phone you want the esim installed on.  it will move your number to the esim automatically.  using an esim is good if you intend to travel as you will have a physical sim slot open if you cannot get an esim for your destination.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@canada_one 

You will need to purchase an eSIM then just change the SIM card number on your account.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@canada_one 

your PM cell number can be used with your esim.

I thought of getting esim but reconsidered after finding out that the esim will only work on the original phone you got it for. If you need to get a new phone...you need to get a new esim whereas the hard sim can just be removed from old phone and installed in new phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.