cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Calls Only

Catness
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

My phone was working fine today and I was receiving calls and texts but it is now showing "Emergency Calls Only". My plan shows Active online and I don't have a payment due until May 16. 

No idea what is happening. Blackberry Passport 10 unlocked from the factory, checked IMEI not blacklisted. 

15 REPLIES 15

@Catness Looks like you are not alone with this issue; BB Emergency only Smiley Sad 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Good news. 

Catness

UPDATE:

I turned the radio on and off about 10 times and noticed everytime it came back on it was getting full bars for a minute or so before losing signal. 

I rebooted yet again - maybe the 5th time since I started this and now I am getting a constant full bars of signal. I honestly have no idea what happened or changed but I'm just happy it seems to be working again. 

Thanks everyone for your help. 

Looks to me as if you are down to two possibilities:

a) phone is dying,

b) SIM is dying.

To test a) beg/borrow another unlocked phone and try it with your SIM. Alternatively, you could borrow another PM active phone and try it where you have problems.

For b) just order a new SIM and install it.

Until you can do those tests you might private message @Shazia_K since she was trying to help earlier. If your phone will connect to wifi you can also make do with VOIP app from fongo.com.

Good luck finding a resolution.

Catness

Ok I tried that as well and the same behaviour is occuring.

I think HSPA+/UMTS.

Catness

@crazyfrog@Martin

Hi Guys

I was with Telus before previously and I have been using the BB Passport for close to a year now on Public so I know it is 100% compatible with the network. 

I can chose to connect via GSM, HSPA+/UMTS, HSAP+/UMTS/GSM, LTE/HSPA+/UMTS, and finally LTE/HSPA+/GSM/UMTS <- Which one should I choose to test 3g Only - GSM? 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Catness,

Would it be possible to set your phone to 3G only to see if that makes a difference?

What you've described should definitely not be happening. When you were with another carrier, was it Bell, and did you encounter the same problems?

crazyfrog
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Catness If its not too much to ask, do you mind trying the sim in a different phone though just to check that its not a compatibility issue with the phone. As odd as my suggestion may seem to you, sometimes you will be surprised to find out.

please keep us posted if you were able to try this out

Catness

Hi @Martin

It didn't seem to make a difference if I was inside or outside. I am in a house now but it has a rooftop patio. I was on the rooftop patio and the service was being sporadic going from full bars to "Emergency Calls Only" (Big red X on the bar area of Blackberry 10), and it was also switching between LTE and 4G HSPA often. It also took 5 tries to get a phone call to connect despite it displaying 3 to 5 bars of service. While on the phone call the connection would drop briefly with neither the person I was calling or myself able to hear anything although the call did not disconnect. Just momentary silences. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Catness,

With regard to your intermittent service, Halifax is fully covered by Telus' network, which PM uses.

Are you in a basement; behind thick concrete walls; or, behind a metallic screen? When you go outdoors, does reception improve?

I look forward to your reply.

Catness

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply. 

I pulled the sim card, rebooted a few times. It is getting service again but it is intermittent - I will go from having full bars to no bars while moving a couple feet from where I am standing. 

I think it might be related to my location (downtown Halifax)

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Shazia_K,

You're welcome, and thank you for your prompt response.

Cheers.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Catness,

I'm sorry to hear about your issue, I took a look into your account and I see everything is active. 

Can you try and remove your SIM card? and insert it right back?

Please confirm.

Thanks @Martin 😄

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Shazia_K,

Would you please attend to @Catness' concerns.

Thanks.
Need Help? Let's chat.