cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E sim. Cost and when.

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So now that PM has eSim. I guess the phone has to be compatible for Sim and/or eSim or eSim only. And would I assume you receive the eSim number before activation or during activation? Then my other question what does PM charge for one? Can you buy an eSim only and use it later? 

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @Grinch , actually, no expense and hassle to come back. 

The esim profile is setup on the phone, you can have multiple esim profiles (those from other providers), you can switch back and forth without furhter charge.. as long as the profile is there (you don't need to delete it when you install other esim profile)

Only is a change if you hvae a new phone, and you need your eSIM to move from old the new phone

Grinch

@hTideGnow 

Ah...convenient...yes. But more expense and hassle upon return. Would be best if your HOME country SIM was a physical one, would it not?

And just out of more of my curiosity....if you have 1 only eSim option and lets say you replace it with a VodaPhone eSim.....how would that impact on your Public Mobile account? Would it cancel or suspend your PM account? 

HI @Grinch  i meant when you travel, you buy another local eSIm. then you just switch eSIM profile easily, without having to find a pin an eject the old sim  (and lost the old sim as well.. LoL)

Grinch

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @Grinch  I guess eSim is good for people who travel a lot and need to switch different sims

@hTideGnow 

Huh!! If you travel a lot I assume you mean, one would be changing SIMs for service in another country from a local provider.....correct?  So that would mean if you bought a new eSIM in another country you would then have to buy another Public Mobile eSim upon return? "And that is good for people".  I have an iPhone XR with a physical SIM slot and a eSim option. I assume I can run the phone with a physical SIM AND an eSim at the same time. 

Am I reading you right?? I think I need some corn flakes. 🙂

I assume there will be a day that phones will only have the eSim x2 option.

I guess the WMTO will have to set guidelines and cut offs for 2 physical slots to 1 physical and 1 eSIm to 2 eSim. 

Hi @Grinch  I guess eSIm is good for people who travelled a log and need to switch different sims

but for regular use,, no travel, no change carrier,   physical is better

Grinch

Thanks everyone. As long as my phone has the option to use a 3in1 SIM card I will use vs an eSim.  There seems to potentially more hassle and cost with an eSim. 

Would you agree?

It’s better for PM and customers vs the delivery  issues. BUT. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Grinch 

The easiest way to active a eSIM is to subscribe on the new PM app and best to get the eSIM when you want to be a member of PM.

Cost will be $5 if I recall.

Hi @Grinch 

Sorry, typo, I meant  we cannot move e-SIM anymore free.

thsolutions
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The eSIM number is received after you sign up for an account and a payment is received for your eSIM ($5) and plan. From there you would be able to chose whether to port in you existing number or get a new number. The eSIM has to be used when activating the account with a plan. It is not a QR code, like other providers, but activated through their mobile app. Well at least this was my experience with Public Mobile eSIM activation.

Grinch

the eSIM fees is pretty much an activation fees that all providers charging.  
How much from PM?

If you are changing phone, you need to pay again.  

We cannot move physical sim between phones free of charge anymore.

Really? You can’t move a 3in1 sim to another phone?  I can see not being able to move an eSim. Can you please clarify. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Grinch 

the eSIM fees is pretty much an activation fees that all providers charging.    If you are changing phone, you need to pay again.  

We cannot move physical sim  eSIM between phones free of charge anymore. Harder to troubleshoot if device problem or not

Need Help? Let's chat.