cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E Sim

coopball2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do I have to purchase a new e sim if I am switching to a new phone?

19 REPLIES 19

@McDiarmid   Which Android do you have?

coopball2

From what I know, newer generation of androids should support both e-sim and physical sim card compatibility. Be sure to research for your particular device before buying it! 

McDiarmid

I have Android, can I use e-sim?

Fair enough. FYI, you get up to 2% back buying it online from Apple.ca if you happen to have Rakuten.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1718570355911.png

coopball2

lol I was just gonna head to the apple store in person. 

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman  The OP mentioned buying it from Apple.  I would assume that's an Apple Store in Canada but most of the blurb online says that the iPhone 15 only has esim and no sim slot.  But those articles would be aimed at US customers whereas the Canadian version does have a physical sim slot.

On me again for not using my...  words. I was more curious if he was buying from Apple.ca or Apple.com. Man, I need a nap. LOL

@coopball2   The Public Mobile sim fits three sizes.  You would need to remove the outer spacers to get down to nano sim size.  Bear in mind delivery of physical sim cards from Public Mobile can take from a few days to three weeks or so.  You can buy them in person at certain Telus/Koodo stores or order from Amazon which is usually quicker than PM.   Mine only took a week from PM but some are not so lucky.

coopball2

Yea that’s what I read too. But I confirmed with a friend they do indeed have a physical slot. Just curious how I would order a new SIM for the 15, ensuring it’s the right size. Because I know each phone is different. 

@Chalupa_Batman  The OP mentioned buying it from Apple.  I would assume that's an Apple Store in Canada but most of the blurb online says that the iPhone 15 only has esim and no sim slot.  But those articles would be aimed at US customers whereas the Canadian version does have a physical sim slot.

I'm still wondering where you are purchasing this phone from that it doesn't have a physical SIM slot? I'm just concerned the phone may be blacklisted or stolen. All Canadian iPhones have a physical SIM slot. The US versions don't have physical SIM slots. 

@coopball2  You keep the same phone number but need a new esim, just download the PM app to the new phone, log in to your existing account and purchase a new esim.  There is no charge for esims once you already have one.

coopball2

Currently have an ESim on my i phone 10 buying the 15 from apple in a couple of days. I’d like to keep my same number and esim if possible 

Not needed. Sorry, just to confirm, are you using an eSIM now or a physical SIM card?

I got the iPhone 15 Pro Max 256GB. I friggin LOVE it! It will REALLY upset me if the rumors are true for the iPhone 16 Pro Max. 25x optical zoom. Great for sporting events! lol

Anywho, if you're currently using an eSIM and want to go to a physical SIM, just go into your account online, then profile, then on your right hand side you'll see SIM ... just change it to the new number there. Then once saved, install in your phone and power off and restart.

Edit to your 2nd edit. All phones, at least that I know of, all have physical SIM slots.

My now Edit... lol. According to MacRumours...

Apple's new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max models all remain equipped with a physical SIM card tray outside of the United States, as a rumored eSIM-only expansion with the devices failed to materialize.

Where are you buying this phone from?

coopball2

Yea I’ll prolly just go for the physical SIM then. I think they have different sizes though if I’m not wrong. I have a Iphone 10 and am moving to a 15. 

*Edit*
When buying a physical SIM on the public mobile app it doesn’t give an option for what phone size. 

*Further Edit* 

I phone 15 doesn’t have a physical SIM slot 

Don't get me wrong. eSIMs have their purpose. The only thing I am NOT a fan of is when you do a back up of your phone, it doesn't allow for you to copy the eSIM so you may transfer everything to a new phone. I believe that is locked by the Telco.

I prefer physical SIM cards because you can swap them out any time and switch them to a different phone any time. Example: You bought new phone, get free eSIM. Oh, phone isn't working right after 3-4 months and has to go in for warranty, loaner phone needs new eSIM, that's $10 please. 99% of the time when your phone comes back it's factory refreshed meaning the eSIM is removed. $10 for a new one please. There needs to be a rule by the Government when you back up a phone, eSIM should be included with it.

Here is example why eSIM is good. You have eSIM, you go overseas to different country, you buy their physical SIM card to use there. Or, like most here, have eSIM and then have the TextNow SIM card in their phone for using in the US so they don't have to pay for US addons. Stuff like that.

coopball2

Sorry a physical sim

coopball2

Why would you suggest a e sim? 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @coopball2 

Usually yes. But Public Mobile is offering them free right now. Hence the reason I always recommend physical SIM cards.

EDIT: Looks like they went back to $10 each

Chalupa_Batman_0-1718564101662.png

Need Help? Let's chat.