cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Sim on OnePlus2 - am I SOL if I want PM and Rogers SIMs but also occasionally use Rogers data?

iliab
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Here's my set up:

- OnePlus2 with latest patches

- Public Mobile SIM (main)

- Rogers Mobility SIM (work)

I get 4G on PublicMobile and mainly use PM SIM for mobile data. Rogers SIM is on the network and able to receive calls.

What I want is to once in a while be able to switch mobile data to the Rogers SIM. If I do that, Rogers SIM continues to work but PM SIM can't even register to the network.

If I plug in two Rogers SIMs simultaneously, both SIMs are able to stay on the network and I'm able to switch mobile data btw them as I please. 

Question: I realize Public Mobile may not have the standby 2G band, hence when Rogers SIM is the data sim, PM is down due to the phone not being to use both SIMs on 4G/LTE.

Sooo... are my only options now to switch phones/get separate phones, or abandon PM and make sure both SIMs are Fido/Rogers?...

Thanks for reading!

12 REPLIES 12

A few newer phones are actually using dual active SIMs @srlawren

Kind of crazy though since it will decimate your battery life

@srlawren wrote:

I don't think there are many--if in fact any--dual SIM cards that can do data on both SIM slots simultaneously.

Mass_Deduction
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Most dual-SIM phones only support 2G for one of the SIMs.  Some phones (all dual-SIM Windows Phones, and some Android phones) let either SIM slot be the primary SIM, and it's a software toggle.  It seems that's the way the OP's works, from what was said.  So the simple answer to the OP is, yes, only a SIM on the Rogers network can be the secondary (non-data) SIM on the current device.

Options using two devices, accepting that the primary SIM must always be the one on Bellus, or upgrading to a newer and higher-end dual-SIM phone.  The reason dual-SIM phones didn't support the second SIM being at least 3G until now wasn't because they were cheaping out, it's because most phones use off-the-shelf system-on-chip (SoC( designs with integrated modems, and those modems didn't support it.  My HP Elite X3 supports the secondary SIM connecting to HSPA because the modem in the Snapdragon 820 SoC supports it.  Even at that, the feature wasn't enabled at first: users of that phone had to wait for a firmware update that enabled it.

Another very important consideration is that while Rogers continues to support 2G GSM for now, and has not announced an official end-date for 2G support, that 2G coverage hasn't increased in a very long time.  And 2G equipment is beginning to fail as equipment eventually always does, and that means the 2G footprint is actually shrinking (though Rogers appears to be moving equipment around still, to make sure key areas are covered).  Nonetheless, using Rogers as the secondary SIM will be a worse and worse experience over time.  U.S. roaming won't work with 2G, unless you force your device to roam on T-Mobile.  Both Public Mobile and Rogers support roaming on both AT&T and T-Mobile, and in my experience it defaults to AT&T most of the time.

So, carrying around two devices, or acquiring a newer and probably very expensive dual-SIM handset, are really the only two good options on the table.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
There ARE phones that will let you have your non data sim on 3g for text/calling... But there aren't many. More are starting to appear as more countries ditch their 2g networks, I believe Australians are leading the charge in this regard right now in terms of finding phones that work.. This XDA thread had some conversation about this, but it's kind of old now. I'm not sure if there's an updated list available or not: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/dual-sim-simultaneous-4g-3g-capable-t3370632

Couple of quotes from: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-two-sim-phone-20-best-dual-sim-phones-2017-...

"In all the dual-SIM phones we've tested both SIMs are on standby at all times (known as dual-standby phones), but you can actively use only one SIM at a time."

"Dual-standby phones require you to specify one SIM or the other for data, though unless specified you can choose between the two on the fly for calls and texts."

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Yes that is called dual SIM dual standby on both 3g/4g. And I also believe there is no phone with dual SIM dual active.

@srlawren wrote:

@iliab I've got the newer OnePlus 3 but I believe it works similarly.  You can only have data active on one SIM slot at any given time.  So if you want to use some Rogers data, you'd have to go into your SIM card settings and toggle data from your PM SIM to your Rogers SIM. 

EDIT: this may in fact be incorrect, I think maybe @will13am is correct about the OP2 being 2G only on SIM slot 2.  

I don't think there are many--if in fact any--dual SIM cards that can do data on both SIM slots simultaneously.

@srlawren, I agree there are no dual SIM phones that do simultaneous data.  The earlier phones (including the OPT) were restricted to 2G on SIM2.  The newer models allowed 2G/3G/4G on both SIMs but still no simultaneous data. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@iliab I've got the newer OnePlus 3 but I believe it works similarly.  You can only have data active on one SIM slot at any given time.  So if you want to use some Rogers data, you'd have to go into your SIM card settings and toggle data from your PM SIM to your Rogers SIM. 

EDIT: this may in fact be incorrect, I think maybe @will13am is correct about the OP2 being 2G only on SIM slot 2.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I think SIM 2 is 2G only on the OPT.  So, it's Rogers only for that SIM.  Depending on how it is set up, some dual SIM phones restrict which SIM can get data.  Easiest way to check if this restriction applies is to look at the APN settings to see if there is provision for settings for each SIM. 

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Yes you can't use onePlus2 for dual 3g/4g standby.
Option1. So you have to use another phone or hotspot to use pm LTE data. You can use 2 rogers SIM in oneplus2 but one sim is always going to be 2g which is fine for talk and text. The other sim can use LTE data.
Option 2. Buy a oneplus3, Asus zenfone 3 north American version or zte axon 7 to use both 3g/4g standby and you can use it as you wanted to.

@iliab so you're trying to use the same phone on more than one network?  with the ability to toggle between the two.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

is there an option in settings to choose what SIM does what? I'm just having a hard time understanding what you're trying to do. Dual SIM phones are more helpful for roaming to reduce charges (get a cheap plan in the country you are). There should be a setting somewhere relating to data or network to tell the phone which SIM should do what.

You may need to buy a cheap phone (BLU for example) for one of your lines. Ive also heard the OP2 does have dual SIM issues 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

What happens if you switch SIM slots for the cards?

Need Help? Let's chat.