cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my phone work?

Angela2016
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am thinking of coming back. Does public mobile have a feature to test if your phone will work on the network still. I cannot find it. I am with Virgin and want to bring my phone over

6 REPLIES 6

I didn’t see anyone else mention it but if you do need to get your phone unlocked while your previous carrier, it is absolutely no cost to you and don’t let them try to charge you for it.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

If the phone came from Virgin (Bell) then it's almost certainly radio-compatible and SIM-compatible. (Assuming it has a physical SIM card slot, it's not eSIM-only.)

If it's working now (with Virgin) then it obviously isn't blacklisted.

The only problem might be a carrier-lock. Yes, CRTC prohibits the practice and yes certain carriers apparently still do it. But they are still required by law to fully unlock phones (provide unlock codes or whatever) for their subscribers on request. They are obligated to comply if your account with them is in good standing. You might remind them that you know about registering customer complaints through the CCTS.

You should contact Virgin to confirm your device isn't locked (by them) and to have them remove the lock if it is locked (by them). Best to do this while you still have an account with them, carriers usually don't deal with people who aren't active subscribers. And they know that anyone asking to get their phone unlocked is thinking about moving to another provider - be prepared for some pushy persistent retention offers/bribes and perhaps some stupid time-wasting surveys - if this bothers you then you can claim you need it unlocked because you're going to go travelling out of the country (with a foreign SIM) for a while or whatever.

If you can borrow another non-Virgin SIM card from another phone (a friend or family member, etc) then you can test it in yours. It only takes a couple minutes and a couple restarts. "Invalid SIM" and "SIM not recognized" are the classic indicators of a carrier-locked device.

If you do indeed plan to move to a new provider (from Virgin to Public Mobile or whatever) then always initiate the number port from the new provider. The old provider does not need to be informed, accounts will close automatically when the porting process is complete. The old provider might inadvertently (or intentionally?) cause problems with the number port if you initiate it from their end.

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/Unlock-Phone-in-Canada-guide

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Angela2016 

If the same device was on the public mobile network before, it will still work now with a functioning public mobile SIM card.

@GiraffeHat- They don't. It's why I said "could". If the phone has been with the Bell family since before 2017 then it could be. We don't know the age of the phone yet.

GiraffeHat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I didn't think they locked phones anymore. I thought they made laws against it. That's depressing.

I was about to say as long as the sim is a compatible size, which it usually is with the snap off features, they'd be good to go. But I forgot it was even a thing.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The only way to pre-test is to put a Public sim (or Telus or Koodo) in the phone. It could be locked. Coming from Virgin it will almost certainly work. What is the make and model?

Need Help? Let's chat.