cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PM Sim work in iPad

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Considering in purchasing a used iPad 2nd generation. Wondering if a regular phone PM Sim would work in iPad  for data.

22 REPLIES 22

smurf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

TYSM....that was so easy thanks to you.  I am so appreciative!!!!!!

BEER

I do love that under Settings/Wi-Fi, my iPhone shows up under "Personal Hotspots", so I can enable that directly from the iPad without having to even touch my phone (I think this was new in iOS 11 or so... maybe earlier... previously had to turn on the Hotspot from the iPhone first).

Oh man now I feel a bit thick - never used or even considered  using  "Personal Hotspot". Just tried it and it works just fine and no need for me to be removing the Sim from my phone and sticking it into my iPad.  Thanks a million.

BEER

Thanks - but then why is my post being reviewed?

@BEER wrote:

Hi - I think that I may have done something wrong - I edited my original post by adding  updates and received a notification that my post is being reviewed before posting. Should I have started a new thread with my update?

No. You may modify any post you have made. You may add additional posts to any thread.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

BEER

Hi - I think that I may have done something wrong - I edited my original post by adding  updates and received a notification that my post is being reviewed before posting. Should I have started a new thread with my update?

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BEER wrote:

@BEER wrote:

I just bought the iPad inserted my PM Sim card that has 200mb add on Data but it doesn't work. The iPad gets full bars and shows that it is connected to Public Mobile 3G but when I try to connect I get a mesage that "The Internet connection is offline" - Also when I go to settings it does show the Carrier as Public Mobile but strangely  shows "Manage TELUS Account.

Is there a special Sim for iPad that I should purchase?

I don't know if I can reply to my own post but I have found the solution and all is well now and I can connect to the internet with my $10 plan with data add on. The fix is that the  -- APN setting on the iPad has to be changed to:" sp.mb.com" instead of default sp.telus.com.

Hey if you do enough of these you can Bravo yourself and get $1 off next month for participating in the forums.  😉

Just kidding - glad you found out the solution and shared it.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@krazykiwi wrote:

Messaging is possible as iPads have the messaging app but I believe this is only possible via apple products as it uses the icloud to connect your different devices.

Yep... I often like to reply to messages using my iPad (when possible, and for longer replies), even though they come through on my iPhone (and with the text message forwarding, this works for SMS and not just iMessage).  I just really like the overall form-factor of the iPhone SE, but the downside is that my fat thumbs make lots of typos when trying to message on the relatively small screen!  Luckily I don't spend most of my day texting...

I never got the celluar model cuz whenever i want to use the iPad with out wifi I just hotspot of my phone.

I just happened to get a good deal on a model that had 3G data... I usually don't run it with a SIM card, and I'll admit it's really annoying everytime I turn it on and have to dismiss the "No SIM Card Installed" dialog!  I do love that under Settings/Wi-Fi, my iPhone shows up under "Personal Hotspots", so I can enable that directly from the iPad without having to even touch my phone (I think this was new in iOS 11 or so... maybe earlier... previously had to turn on the Hotspot from the iPhone first).

@CalgaryBen

I am thinking he must have been or somehow app connected to his phone via bluetooth. There is no phone capability with the ipads so you are right, you would not be able to call a iPad even with a capable sim in it. Messaging is possible as iPads have the messaging app but I believe this is only possible via apple products as it uses the icloud to connect your different devices.

This works in this scenario as all that was wanted was to use a PM sim to get data on the iPad and not to worry about text or calls.

I never got the celluar model cuz whenever i want to use the iPad with out wifi I just hotspot of my phone.

@BEER wrote:

@BEER wrote:

I just bought the iPad inserted my PM Sim card that has 200mb add on Data but it doesn't work. The iPad gets full bars and shows that it is connected to Public Mobile 3G but when I try to connect I get a mesage that "The Internet connection is offline" - Also when I go to settings it does show the Carrier as Public Mobile but strangely  shows "Manage TELUS Account.

I don't know if I can reply to my own post but I have found the solution and all is well now and I can connect to the internet with my $10 plan with data add on. The fix is that the  -- APN setting on the iPad has to be changed to:" sp.mb.com" instead of default sp.telus.com.

I am glad you got it sorted. Sorry had to run before we were able to finish helping you. Yes this is the same setting as a phone on the PM network.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@krazykiwi wrote:

EDIT: I actually seen a guy using his iPad as a phone once, look a little silly with that large device up to his ear but it does work that way.

He must've been using a VOIP app... I just popped out my PM SIM from my iPhone and put it into my iPad Air.  I was able to get 3G data (and access the internet), but when I tried phoning my number, I got the "call could not be completed" tone (from both a landline and another cell).  Didn't even reach VM.  Sort of makes sense, since the iPad registers with the network saying "I'm capable of data, but not capable of voice".

Also, the iPad has never had the Apple "Phone" app, and such a thing did not appear when I inserted the SIM card and allowed it to register, so I guess iOS on the iPad simply has no support for this.  Probably could have used Viber, WhatsApp, etc.

@stonechucker wrote:

I don't know if SMS or talk is usable on a cellular iPad (does anyone know?), but the data add-ons do not require a base data selected in the base plan.

Neither SMS nor talk work on the iPad!  I guess the iPad doesn't have a concept of a "phone number". If I try to SMS a non-iMessage registered phone number from the iPad's Messaging app, the phone number turns red (first time I've seen this!) and the blue "Send" button doesn't actually work.  As far as SMS sent to my number (while the SIM is in the iPad), I think the PM/Telus network successfully delivers the SMS to the iPad but the SMS simply isn't handled/displayed; my test SMS did not show up when I put the SIM card back into my iPhone, suggesting it didn't get queued/held in the network.

BEER

@BEER wrote:

There's only one type of SIM card, they're all the same.

@BEER wrote:

Wow, that was quick.

Try this site to see what it says. Never tried it for an iPad before. https://www.devicecheck.ca/ and this https://willmyphonework.net/

BEER

@stonechucker wrote:

@krazykiwi, you are right, that a base plan must include one of talk, text, or data.

@BEER,I don't know if SMS or talk is usable on a cellular iPad (does anyone know?), but the data add-ons do not require a base data selected in the base plan.

You can not activate a 30 or 90-day plan without at least one of the options mentioned above.  The cheapest data only packages are very small amounts of data which would be used first, the add-ons would be used afterwards and any remaining will roll over.

Hmmmm, I see what you are saying now. Apparently some carriers, maybe all do not allow this.

@krazykiwi, you are right, that a base plan must include one of talk, text, or data.

@BEER,I don't know if SMS or talk is usable on a cellular iPad (does anyone know?), but the data add-ons do not require a base data selected in the base plan.

You can not activate a 30 or 90-day plan without at least one of the options mentioned above.  The cheapest data only packages are very small amounts of data which would be used first, the add-ons would be used afterwards and any remaining will roll over.

@BEER wrote:

I prefer  the PM prepaid and the roll over feature.  With bell plan the unused data portion gets deleted at the end of the 30 day cycle. 

The rollover only applies to the data add-ons which you need a base plan before you can purchase.

@BEER wrote:

Thanks will buy the iPad later today and hope it works for internet browsing. 

Good luck. Keep in mind that celluar iPads have an IMEI number so if you are buying from a stranger beware. We have noticed people buying used phones and sometime later they stop working on their carrier because the person who they bought it from reports it stolen or lost. This way the seller gets the insurance money and the money from the buyer. This can happen with a celluar iPad as well.

BEER

I prefer  the PM prepaid and the roll over feature.  With bell plan the unused data portion gets deleted at the end of the 30 day cycle. 

BEER

Thanks will buy the iPad later today and hope it works for internet browsing. 

A data only plan here is going to be expensive.  I would suggest you shop around for a better deal.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

Considering in purchasing a used iPad 2nd generation. Wondering if a regular phone PM Sim would work in iPad  for data.

yes it should, as long as the iPad is a celluar model.

EDIT: I actually seen a guy using his iPad as a phone once, look a little silly with that large device up to his ear but it does work that way.

Need Help? Let's chat.