cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between ordering a sim card online and activating ourself vs at a store?

dwdrajesh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, New user here and have a few questions:

1. What is the difference between ordering a sim card online and activating ourselves vs getting a sim card at Walmart and activating there? At walmart, they say the sim card is free but they will charge $10 for activation. 

2. Also, if I get a referral code, will I be able to use that at Walmart or is that only when I activate myself online?

3. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the sim card to arrive in Ottawa?

4. Does Public mobile do credit checks? I was told Freedom Mobile does and it might reduce a few points when they do that check. 

Thanks a lot!

13 REPLIES 13

@dwdrajesh  Yep...i think you got it all. Check in everyday at the community as you contemplate your switch. You can sign up for deal alerts on the plans page or just check the main community page for announcements. Fingers crossed they will offer one this week. If I remember correctly your with rogers so your plan will be prorated whenever you do port. Keep asking any questions were happy to help. As long as your community username/ email is the same email you use to activate your account your participation on the community pre activation will count towards a possible community reward for February if you activate before the end of the month. A fellow Ottawa native spent an entire month asking questions and learning all about pm and boldly waiting out a couple of promos to score the wicked black Friday promo and activate right at the end November and earn a top 10% for $5 quite an amazing achievement. Some daily reading, bravoing etc... can easily get you top 50% or even top 25%!

@dwdrajesh wrote:

Hi Guys, I read all the replies you guys wrote. Basically what I understand now is that,

- there is no activation fee even at the store.

- There might be promotions on Valentine's day

- When I order online, I dont need to pay for anything until I get the sim card, go online and activate it and choose a plan which means the first thing I will have to pay is the first month's fee for my chosen plan. Nothing to pay for 'activation'.

- Shipping might take 2-5 days in Ottawa.

Is my understanding correct?

If you order online the sim card cost $10 plus your province taxes.

Screenshot_20200209_193516_com.android.chrome.jpg

Then you have to wait for it to be shipped to you.

If a promotion is running promotions go by the day you activate the sim not the day you order online. So sometimes if they have a flash sale you might miss out on the deal waiting for your sim to be delivered.

If you go to for Example Walmart you can pick up a sim from them. You do not have to activate it there with them. You can do it at home if you prefer. They shouldn't give you any issues just selling the sim. I've purchased many at Walmart's and never had an issue but if they do. You can say you lost your phone and just need a new sim to put in another phone and that you know how to add the new sim to your account online.

The benefit however is sometimes Walmart gives you a free sim if you activate in store with them. Be sure to use a referral code and if you're porting a number from another provider you can always let them set you up with a temporary new number and when you get home port your number from other provider. Remember your account with other company must be active and in good standing to port your number.

dwdrajesh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Guys, I read all the replies you guys wrote. Basically what I understand now is that,

- there is no activation fee even at the store.

- There might be promotions on Valentine's day

- When I order online, I dont need to pay for anything until I get the sim card, go online and activate it and choose a plan which means the first thing I will have to pay is the first month's fee for my chosen plan. Nothing to pay for 'activation'.

- Shipping might take 2-5 days in Ottawa.

Is my understanding correct?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Another advice if you sign up in store bring a credit card and tell them you want to sign up for autopay, that way they will invite you behind the counter and you will be able to double check everything they enter. With vouchers they enter everything and there was couple of mistypes, which can be a big deal if it's your signup email, which will feel even worst if there is any other issue as you may not even know what is the login for your account. You need access to it to do any self-help/account maintenance, without it you can't even open a ticket. You will still be able to contact moderatora and they will be able to correct it for you, BUT that's a hell of a start

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dwdrajesh  To answer the rest of your questions....

1. Either copy and paste your referral code or copy it down carefully making sure to not mix up ones (1) and the letter I of zeroes (0) and the capital O also 2 and Z and 1 or el (l) can confuse even though capital letters are solely used. The referral code is entered almost halfway down the first page after your name/address/birth date info. Don't be afraid if activating in store to ask to go behind the counter or turn the screen towards you to make sure info is entered correctly. When it comes to sensitive personal info ask to enter it yourself with the salesperson eyes averted. If you can take a pic with your phone or camera of each screen before clicking submit. You can securely archive or print later to put in a safe and secure place in case you forget vital info needed in the future like your pin code or security question and answer.

Make sure all your services are working especially if porting your number at the same time before leaving the store this part of the salesperson job when you activate in store. Make sure any promotion (except an offer of a free sim) they offer ie free second month...is currently offered on the public mobile site and has not expired or has an expiry date on it. There are no current promos but that may change by Friday. I would wait until at least Valentine's day.....another reason to love public mobile...heres a sweetheart deal......?

3. Ordering online from Amazon can take 7+ days if you don't have prime and some people have waited 14+ days for ones from public mobile. Best to activate in store for a free one if offered. (Remember there are no activation fees with pm!) Or buy one from a retailer. If you insist on having one delivered ModemOutlet in Ottawa has an excellent reputation and can ship it usually 2 days max 3 days.

4. Public Mobile doesn't officially check anything because its prepaid. You can be peter parker or clark kent if you really wanted to be....it just asks the normal stuff. Name address dob that's about it when it comes to personal info.

*There is a slew of Wal-Mart's in the Ottawa area phone ahead and find one that offers a free SIM and doesn't even hint at an activation fee. If someone brings it up when you get therevcall their bluff and ask for a manager or even the GM. If they are still crazy and insist upon it.... walk out and go to one of the other ten or so in the area and activate there and then come back here and report that location to public mobile.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dwdrajesh 

I don't like to activate PM plan in store because I don't like to enter my credit card detailed info at the store computer to enable autopay.  I prefer to buy the SIM card online or at store and activate at home on my computer.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dwdrajesh  I am copying my answer to the first part of your question from the similar follow up question you asked the other night....

When it comes to Wal-Mart wanting to charge $10 as an activation fee but give you a free SIM...thats complete B.S.....there are no activation fees with public mobile and it's retail partners. I'm sure @Alan_K  would be interested in that...so please leave a review in the locate a retailer section here on the public mobile website. Go to another location....if you can wait another week or two there will be another promotion you can take advantage of...Valentine's day is one week away I bet public mobile comes up wth a clever campaign for that.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@dwdrajesh 

Go to another Walmart

I have taken 2 people so far to Walmart and I opened 4 differed accounts personally and have never seen anybody pay a cent for the sim or activation there.

I've ordered 6 times sim but from Amazon and eBay, all in less than a week.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire
You can use your code in store, even if the sales person says no, insist. If they don't do it, you can still get moderators to add it later on (it did happen before)

kselmak
Mayor / Maire
There are no credit checks with any prepaid service service, it's like vending machine almost, when you pay you get the candy

jhontydas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, Welcome to Public Mobile.

1. There's no difference in ordering online or getting it at the store. If you're in a rush to get the sim you may get it from Walmart otherwise you can wait till it gets shipped to you. You can get the sim at Walmart and activate it yourself after you made an account.

2. If you give them the code they should be able to enter it. Otherwise, you can do it when activating it under your account.

3. It will be based on how where you are in Ottawa. I would guess 3-5 Business days.

4. No, they don't do credit checks. As long as you have a card to pay the bill based on what plan you chose.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Welcome to public mobile.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dwdrajesh 

@dwdrajesh wrote:

Hi, New user here and have a few questions:

1. What is the difference between ordering a sim card online and activating ourselves vs getting a sim card at Walmart and activating there? At walmart, they say the sim card is free but they will charge $10 for activation. 

It the same SIM.  So up to you.

2. Also, if I get a referral code, will I be able to use that at Walmart or is that only when I activate myself online?

Either place

3. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the sim card to arrive in Ottawa?

Major city 3 to 5 days

4. Does Public mobile do credit checks? I was told Freedom Mobile does and it might reduce a few points when they do that check. 

Prepaid service so no credit checks

Thanks a lot!

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

In store the staff would activate for you and you would have to create selfserve when you get home.

If you buy in store and take it home or you buy online access receive it, you do it all by yourself and your selfserve SHOULD be created in the proccess

At home you can do it sitting down choosing the number you really like, that's a bit harder in store if they are busy.

If site is down at home you can wait for a bit keep trying again, in store they will tell you to come later, usually much later cause the moment they are you they say it's still down.

The biggest difference may be in rewards and price.

Some rewards are online only, some are in-store only.

Price of sim can sometimes be 0 if you activate in store. If not 0 in store it would be 10, where you can get it for 6-7 on Amazon.

It really depends on the day and the situation which is better for you.

Some people like others to port their number so they go to a store

Need Help? Let's chat.