cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Public change the throttle bandwidth ?

gwhitema
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm on a road trip and wanted to do a speedtest on LTE for fun. 

Screenshot_20200829-090418_Speedtest.jpg

I get 23Mbps ! As you can see on the top right corner I'm using LTE. How is this possible ? 

Can someone else do a sepedtest and tell me what you get !

10 REPLIES 10

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Still throttled here. 🙂 

apollo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

3G is all around. Previous reply is correct, sometimes it does fail. I'd say that is due to a tower you are hitting, which may not be in the throttle runs system yet. Probably a newer tower, with unregistered IPs IPv6 likely.

gwhitema

hmm. I still don't have a 3Mbps throttle. 

I guess I have full speed 4G LTE.

My plan change dosen't have anything to do with it. I think i tested my speed after my plan change and it was 3Mbps down/up. 

IWorkForRogers
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No. The throttling is failing when you get the higher speed,  here is why. The speed should be about 3Mbps up and down stream. That was 3G tech, but Public are running over LTE tech ... the are doing 3G over LTE, basically,  so the throttling sometime fails as it is not as easy to govern speed as a landline internet connection. Maybe they do some maintenence and throttling stops temporarily, or phone has gone through an update and provisions are lagging, etc.

SmartSelect_20200829-101715_Speedtest.jpg

@gwhitema the plan change is probably the reason. There was another question on speed test and someone posted that it could take up to 2 weeks to fully throttle. Stay safe. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

umm, you bet me...

I have been trying to insert my screen shot here....but having issues saving it in my post. Weird.

gwhitema

@computergeek541 I changed to the 30$ plan. But my renewal change was last week. 

Odd..

@gblackma it definitely consumed more data than a usual speedtest on the throttled 3Mbps.

It used 80mb of data.

@gwhitema  how much data did you consume doing the test? Thanks. Stay safe. 

There is no across-the-board speed change for 3g plans on the LTE network.  Sudden increases in this speed sometimes occur randomly. Sometimes, if last a few weeks or months, while other times, it lasts a couple of days. 

Also, this can occur if you've performed a plan change.

I also strongly advise against members peforming this test unless knowing the consequences. I have personally used half a gugabyte in one of these tests before. Speedtest uses more data when the speeds are faster.

gwhitema

What !

Screenshot_20200829-090926_Speedtest.jpg

How am I getting 30Mbps Down and 8 Up ?

Need Help? Let's chat.