cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about coverage, or is there any bandwidth throttling?

n_p
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to purchase a 90-day Public Mobile plan while I road-trip across Canada this summer from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland. Since I will be in cities, small towns, and in rural/remote areas in all 10 provinces but mostly spending a lot of time on the road, usually along the Trans-Canada, it's important that I have as reliable coverage for internet, calls, and texting wherever I am - safety is my priority.

I read that Public Mobile uses the same 4G LTE network as Telus but for the prices, it seems too good to be true!

I know no provider offers perfect nation-wide coverage, but is the PM coverage, quality and consistency really the same as Telus, and therefore 4G LTE nation-wide? Or is there any bandwidth throttling that would compromise my ability to stay connected versus if I went with Telus (or even Bell, which uses same?)

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I live in Newfoundland and the Telus network (PM) is pretty good, especially along the Trans Canada Highway. There are dead zones, and the Bell/Telus maps are a bit optimistic, if you will, but you're not without signal for too long. In cities like St. John's, it's perfect everywhere. You might drop to HSPA on the highway in some places. I've been using PM here for a while now and everything's been the same as back when I was on an actual Telus plan.

Enjoy your trip!

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@n_p

First of all you have to remember that PM is Fully Online Service. If you travelling across Canada and something happens to your phone or service you cannot pop up at any kiosk or store and maybe call customer service. You are on your own. Your Internet connection is your best friend. It is important to know this, especially when your previous provider had a call centers or stores and kiosks all over Canada.

Obviously you have to purchase Canada Wide Plan and it could be a little bit more expensive than Province Wide but it is still a good deal.

Since Bell took over MTS, coverage will be the same as Telus/Bell Across Country but don't rely heavily on Coverage Maps. Members of this community can help you better when it comes to coverage. Maybe they lived in the same area that you going to pass by or travelled extensively from Coast to Coast on business trips etc.

Every provider without exceptions have some dead zones so don't be surprised if you lost connection in some areas.

Recently folks on this forum have been chatting about dramatic improvement in LTE speed reading so if it is true and confirmed you have both of the best worlds for the lower price.

n_p
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thank you both for your responses.

thanks for the tip about osmand; i've heard good things about it and will check it out! looking forward to the trip!

tod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13am wrote:

That coverage map is severely dated.  With the Bell take over of MTS and tower sharing agreements, Public Mobile has good coverage in Manitoba now.

That's true but I remember that being the map a few months back... Good to know the map on the coverage page is accurate, I wasn't aware of that acquisition and that we have even more awesome coverage now!

@tod wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Yes, Public Mobile is Telus coverage without the high price.  There are no known priorities placed on the service.

Ditto, just keep in mind coverage might be just slightly less at certain places (eg. Manitoba) off the TransCanada HWY. From what I recall there was no EXT access (ie roaming in Canada) with PM but looking at the current map maybe it's available now as the current map seems to have expanded. Perhaps a MOD can confirm?

Previously:

Also, there was 0 coverage for me back in the day (2010) on certain sections of HWY1 (even northern Ontario south of Thunder Bay), not even SOS! So as a precausion make sure you have offline maps downloaded (eg. osmand)! It's a fun trip, enjoy!

That coverage map is severely dated.  With the Bell take over of MTS and tower sharing agreements, Public Mobile has good coverage in Manitoba now.

tod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13am wrote:

Yes, Public Mobile is Telus coverage without the high price.  There are no known priorities placed on the service.

Ditto, just keep in mind coverage might be just slightly less at certain places (eg. Manitoba) off the TransCanada HWY. From what I recall there was no EXT access (ie roaming in Canada) with PM but looking at the current map maybe it's available now as the current map seems to have expanded. Perhaps a MOD can confirm?

Previously:

Also, there was 0 coverage for me back in the day (2010) on certain sections of HWY1 (even northern Ontario south of Thunder Bay), not even SOS! So as a precausion make sure you have offline maps downloaded (eg. osmand)! It's a fun trip, enjoy!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.