cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining area code before signing up

Mdqb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am considering joining Public Mobile as a new customer.  I have a new phone. I live in Qualicum Beach, BC on Vancouver Island. I will need a new phone number  Is there a way to determine before signing up what area code will be available? I would prefer a 250 area code. The rest of the number is less important.  The nearest city is Parksville, BC.

7 REPLIES 7

Mdqb

Thank you for the information on area codes. 

Mdqb

Thank you for sharing your experience, comments and suggestions.  It was really helpful.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

I just went into my account and initiated a number change. There seem to be multible 250-951-xxxx numbers available for Parksville.

But in reality, the 778 area code is well established on the center and upper Island by now, so I would not hesitate to take a number with that.

Up here in the Comox Valley you also see more and more 236 numbers. Not to mention all the people who have (recently) moved here and are keeping their (Vancouver) 604, or even their out-of-province 403, 416 or 905 cell numbers.

@esjliv wrote:

Also, if you are not happy with the number, know that you can change your phone number on your account (once you are a customer) 4 times every 30 days, if you wish, at no charge.

You are given a lot of choices when you choose your first number on a new account.

You aren't given a lot of choices when you change your number afterward.

I thought you could only change your number once per 30-day billing cycle? Or that changing it more than once required you force the plan to renew early (which costs money), etc?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

250 area codes are in short supply.  The prefix might not match well to the specific town/city.  It took me quite a bit of patience to get a Victoria prefix with area code 250.  The tier 1 brands tend to have access more numbers than a tier 3 brand.  This is costly, you could get a number from Telus and then port it in.  Here is a breakdown of the prefix by location.  Good luck.

https://teracodes.com/area-codes/250/

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Mdqb   They do have some number for Nanaimo, BC for 250 area code

hTideGnow_0-1659662981708.png

and remember, when you activate, you can keep refresh for list of number you like

or you can get a temporary number first, then you can change the number after.  The available numbers on the list after you joined could be different.  

and you can make 4 changes per 30 days.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Mdqb - you can choose cities near or around you and it will give you different numbers to choose from. If you keep refreshing, or changing cities, I believe a new set of numbers will become available.

Also, if you are not happy with the number, know that you can change your phone number on your account (once you are a customer) 4 times every 30 days, if you wish, at no charge.

Need Help? Let's chat.