cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data use miscalculation

DSto
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just confused here. I got a text indicating that I've used 75% of my data, self serve says I've used 75% of my data, but my phone says I've used 373 MB of my 2 GB. I really don't use much data. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@DSto  your phone indicating 373MB used incorrectly is due to the phone using a start date that doesn't align with your actual 30 day renewal date. Make sure it's set the same. The android built in data counter assumes the plan renews on the same day each month, but PM is always 30 days, so months with 28, 29, or 31 days will slowly bring it out of sync with your actual renewal date.

The apps suggested by others are a good idea, or just paying regular attention to the self-serve portal, which is definitive and stays up to date basically in realtime.

@DSto wrote:

Hi, thanks for your help. It says 781.300/1024 MB. On my phone it says 373 MB. I rarely use data on my phone, so I'm confused by the warning and by the difference in the data use indicators. Any thoughts?

Here you indicate 781 Mb of 1024 Mb is used but in your initial post you mentioned your plan has 2 Gb. If that was not a typo, your plan is a 2 Gb plan then you are looking at the wrong item, likely a data add-on showing the 781/1024 Gb used.

On my iPhone I use an App called Dataflow as it can be configured to reset every 30 days rather than monthly. Some Apps allow 30 day plan lengths and others don't.

AE_Collector 

DSto

Thank you!

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@DSto I should have also added, do not run speed tests on your cell data connection as this eats up a lot of data!

DSto

Thank you for your help. I'll see if I can figure that out.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@DSto wrote:

Hi, thanks for your help. It says 781.300/1024 MB. On my phone it says 373 MB. I rarely use data on my phone, so I'm confused by the warning and by the difference in the data use indicators. Any thoughts?

@DSto I use an app called Data Witness PM on the PlayStore. It's old, but in my experience very accurate. As for use, go into your settings (phone dependant) and make sure you only allow updates over wifi. Next turn off wifi assist or whatever it may be called on your device. This switches to your mobile data if the wifi signal is weak or drops. Restrict most apps background data when on not on wifi. 

DSto

yuongmic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  • Check to make sure your time frame on your phone matches the billing cycle of your account. Ex. If you pay on the 3rd, your phone should be set to reset on the 3rd.
  • Make sure that your applications aren't using a ton of data in the background unknowingly. You can see where the data usage is coming from in your mobile data settings on your phone.
  • Double check to make sure your own habits to ensure you're actually switching over to Wi-Fi when possible. Some phone settings will keep mobile data on, or won't auto connect to Wi-Fi. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@DSto wrote:

Just confused here. I got a text indicating that I've used 75% of my data, self serve says I've used 75% of my data, but my phone says I've used 373 MB of my 2 GB. I really don't use much data. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks

@DSto As pointed out by @HALIMACS , what does your self serve account say when you log in? This is usually pretty accurate. Ignore the red arrow, what does the line say for your data at 3G speed?

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 5.34.50 PM 3.png

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Data usage usage is based on a 30 day period.  Make sure your phone tracker is set that way.  The usage history in your self serve is generally

very accurate.

Make sure turn off auto updates when not using wifi. Also turn off GPS and if you need maps to download them.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @DSto 

I wouldn't put too much weight on those text notifications - they can be wonky.

However, if your self-serve page is showing you've used 75%, then you have used that in the current cycle.

Be sure your phone's data counter (if you're using one, or an app that does it) goes from the LAST renewal date and not the 1st day of the current month.   Keep in mind the renewal date slightly changes each month as service is a rolling 30-day cycle - not monthly.

You might also refer to this PM article from awhile back:

Managing your data usage - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.