cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

apremat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Over the last week, I noticed that my data usage has been over 1GB per day. I have not used such amount of data as I have been at home most of the time. Can this be looked into?

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@apremat 

This is a phone issue not a carrier issue. Go to Settings>Battery and see which app is using the most data in the background then disable the background app refresh for that app by going to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and disable that app.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@apremat    wonder if it is a browser cache issue and what you were seeing was something form previous cycle, Try to login to My Account again using Incognito mode, see if the usage changes after you login with incognito mode

if the usage is still higher than expected,, honest  it is harder to track backward on iPhone.  Try to reset your data usage counter on the iPhone and try to start tracking the usage from today.

Login to My Account and make note of the usage at this point

then go back to your iPhone, reset the data usage statistics

Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics.

then check the Mobile data page data on the iPhone and you will see how much data used , and which app used that.

You can then also confirm with PM's data usage to see if they match

iPhone-MobileData.jpg

(if any app show high usage and you don't think they should be accessing Mobile data, you can try to turn off Mobile data for that particular app)

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@apremat 

Go thru each of your apps and turn off background data usage. You should be able to find the app that has been using excessive data based on its usage compared to other apps. Consider setting low data mode. Turn off wifi assist. You could have a weak wifi connection and your iPhone is choosing to use the stronger mobile data connection instead.

Set your mobile data warning and limiter. If you set these at very low data amounts you can investigate what is using your data at the time its being used. If you miss the warning the limiter can kick in and stop the unwarranted usage before it gets out of hand.

Open your phone's Settings app.

Tap Network & internet. Internet.

Next to your carrier, tap Settings .

Tap Data warning & limit. If needed, first turn on Set data warning.

Tap Data warning.

Enter a number. ...

Tap Set.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@apremat 

Simply put, this kind of issue has nothing to do with public mobile and is purely related to your device settings, or lack thereof.

Also check to make sure that you do not have a hotspot enabled which could mean someone is piggybacking off your data connection.

You will also find that under your data settings.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@apremat 

Do you periodically stop the running apps on your iPhone?

Did you ran any brand new apps last week?

If yes, stop that/those app(s) from running at background and report result.

Other ideas

Download and read this pdf file

Tips to Reduce High Data Usage on your iPhone

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj2y7ay-r78AhWxADQIHSHpBRgQ...

1. Turn Off Cellular Data Usage for iCloud. ...
  2. Disable Automatic Downloads on Cellular Data.
  3. Disable Wi-Fi Assist. ...
  4. Monitor or Disable Data Hungry Apps. ...
  5. Disable Background App Refresh. ...
  6. Avoid Streaming High-Quality Music. ...
  7. Display Autoplay Videos on Cellular Network. ...
  8. Last Resort: Avoid using cellular data completely.

apremat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

iPhone 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@apremat 

Do you have an android or an iPhone?

Need Help? Let's chat.