cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage already?

ShelleyChen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activate my SIM an hour ago, I didn't do anything yet....haven't sent out anything, but my data useage is already 5.356 / 250 MB? How come??

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShelleyChen wrote:

I just activate my SIM an hour ago, I didn't do anything yet....haven't sent out anything, but my data useage is already 5.356 / 250 MB? How come??

It's a constant running buffer of 5.236MB actually. The mere act of turning on cell data will grab this buffer. As you use data it will constantly grab that buffer.

As mentioned, if you turn off data and then flip in/out of airplane mode then it will reset to the actual usage of the current buffer.

Depending on what all you let your phone do, your phone will generally always eat a very small amount of data just sync-ing to the network. Then your apps will have their way.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShelleyChen wrote:

You've used about 0.5MB. About 5.3MB is phantom usage but gets returned to account later if it wasn't used. 5.356MB isn't much so it's possible to use that much without knowing with background apps.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@ShelleyChen 

If you turn your data off/on or turn your phone off/on, the phone will call the public mobile data server to enable mms. This data is free. If you go to self service and look at the details under Usage History it will be identified as Call Type equal to Web.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@ShelleyChen Don't worry, that is common. It is some background usage. If you turn on/off Airplane mode, it will go down. 

Need Help? Let's chat.