cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data suddenly stopped working today?

shadowrunner452
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

At around 4ishPM EST I saw that data just stopped working

I thought I ran out of data today, but I got the usual renew messages in the morning and I just checked my account before posting this, everything is fine, only 8mb used so far as the month just started

The 4G icon doesn't even appear anymore on my phone

Tried setting again the APN settings, restarting the phone, etc... And nothing. Data simply won't work anymore

I called my voice mail, so it seems the phone calls are most likely unaffected

23 REPLIES 23

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shadowrunner452 well, @austinhuang's reply is pretty curt but he's effectively correct.  Your latest post indicates that there's nothing wrong with your account so nothing that the moderator team can do to help.  It legitimately appears to be a hardware issue if the SIM works in another phone (which would not be the case for a defective SIM or an account issue), and factory resetting your S6 didn't solve it (which would be the case for a software issue).  Unfortunately there is likely anyone here can do to help other than to suggest you invest in a different phone that will work.  😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@shadowrunner452 wrote:

So, tried the sim in another phone:
- It works

Tried doing a factory reset of my phone:
- It doesn't work

I tried searching but apparently only data breaking is not really a thing...

Your phone's problem. Sorry, can't help.

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

shadowrunner452

So, tried the sim in another phone:
- It works

Tried doing a factory reset of my phone:
- It doesn't work

I tried searching but apparently only data breaking is not really a thing...

@shadowrunner452

As stated above, if you have an extra phone lying around, put your SIM card into the other phone to see whether your data works.  To help distinguish between hardware issue versus service issue.  

You have tried quite a few things already.  You will likely need to contact the moderator (if you have not already).  1-2 day waits unfortunately....

send a private message through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

Theknight

Before you speak to a moderator we need to rule out issues with the phone and SIM card... if the phone works fine then try to take out the SIM card and return it.. restart the phone ..All the best 

shadowrunner452

Checked that too. It isn't

Theknight

Make sure that the data usage threshold on your phone (settings) is higher than your plan data, otherwise it may cause this interruption 

shadowrunner452

No, resetting network settings didn't help

And no, I'm not doing a factory reset

As for the H, it's been on that since it stopped working with no signs of it working at all

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Way back when, there used to be issues with 3G data where the counter does not properly reset after a renewal.  I have not seen this issue being reported in ages.  Wonder if this bug is still lurking in the background.  Just throwing it out there.  Otherwise, it is pretty tough to isolate a problem when everything was working and then suddenly it doesn't work. 

austinhuang

@shadowrunner452 wrote:

Yeah, tried turning off 4G
https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/samsung/galaxy-s6/android-5-0/guides/24/Switch-between-3...

I don't have all the options there. It's usually at "Global", but I tried the other options with no luck

Otherwise, I have restarted the phone multple times, and turned off data on and off multiple times too, still nothing

The data icon is still on the "H" with no activity or signs of it changing to 4G

H is HSPA, so you're now on 3G. Does data work?

Agree with above post.  As stated earlier. a network reset would be the next logical step in trying to resolve this issue.  

Cellsinator90
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is a simple fix

What device are you using?

For iphone

Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

For android

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Go to Backup & reset.
  3. Now tap on the “Network settings reset” option.
  4. Hit the “Reset Settings” button.
  5. You will be given another warning, hit the “Reset Settings” button again.

this should fix any network or data related issues

and final resort is to do a factory reset

shadowrunner452

Wifi works no issues

@shadowrunner452 Confirm your Wifi is still working?

shadowrunner452

Yeah, tried turning off 4G
https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/samsung/galaxy-s6/android-5-0/guides/24/Switch-between-3...

I don't have all the options there. It's usually at "Global", but I tried the other options with no luck

Otherwise, I have restarted the phone multple times, and turned off data on and off multiple times too, still nothing

The data icon is still on the "H" with no activity or signs of it changing to 4G

@shadowrunner452

Found these for turning off LTE 0n Galaxy 6

1. From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.
  2. Tap the Settings icon.
  3. Scroll to and tap Mobile networks.
  4. Tap Network mode.
  5. Tap to select the preferred network mode: Tap CDMA for 3G access only. ...
  6. If prompted, tap OK to apply the new setting. The device will restart.
  7. The 4G connection setting is now changed.

austinhuang

To turn off 4G see here.

You can try to Ask a moderator (Can take up to 48 hrs, 1 message at a time), but since you don't have another phone to diagnose the actual problem, it'll take a bit longer. So maybe borrow one from your friends etc etc and see if it's your card (or account) problem or your phone problem.

@shadowrunner452

Maybe try a network reset?  Then check the APN settings again.  

@shadowrunner452 Yeah, sometimes mine says "LTE" or 3g" and sometimes just Public Mobile.

Edit: Try what @austinhuang suggested.

shadowrunner452

>Which plan do you have?

• - 1GB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk (QC)

>Can you confirm everything else is working, text in/out, calls in/out Do not rely on your voicemail to confirm callls are working.

Just tested calls, works

Just tried replying to one random public mobile message. Was delivered and it answered back

>When you say everything is fine, does your account say active?

Account Status: Active

>When was/is your renewal date?

Today, Sept. 19. Got the text saying the autopay went through and that rewards were applied

Next payment is in October

And no other phones to test it out unfortunately

Not sure how to specifically turn of 4G (Galaxy S6), I'll check it out, but usually it switches automatically when 4G is not available

austinhuang

You might want to turn off 4G LTE and try again. It could also be some sort of TELUS outage, so maybe try putting your SIM in another phone?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Simon suggests you take out sim card...wait for a minute...then reinsert and start phone. Try that.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@shadowrunner452 wrote:

At around 4ishPM EST I saw that data just stopped working

I thought I ran out of data today, but I got the usual renew messages in the morning and I just checked my account before posting this, everything is fine, only 8mb used so far as the month just started

The 4G icon doesn't even appear anymore on my phone

Tried setting again the APN settings, restarting the phone, etc... And nothing. Data simply won't work anymore

I called my voice mail, so it seems the phone calls are most likely unaffected

Which plan do you have?

Can you confirm everything else is working, text in/out, calls in/out Do not rely on your voicemail to confirm callls are working.

When you say everything is fine, does your account say active?

When was/is your renewal date?

Need Help? Let's chat.