cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data running out without using it? iPhone XS

moonbend
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Each month, my plan runs out of data. I have “cellular data” enabled for iMessage but other than that, I have all the settings that use data turned off (like wifi assist, background app refresh, etc). 

The weird thing is, I’ve hardly left wifi (I’ve been at home) and I got a notification saying 75% was used up at like 2am when I wasn’t even on my phone. 

However, I just logged into public mobile and it says I’ve only used up like 5mg of like 1000mg of data. 

I am confused. Please offer advice if you can!

9 REPLIES 9

iMessage is an important thing for iPhone users. that is one of the main reasons people buy it...

@moonbend 

1gb should be more than enough unless you're sending/receiving videos and pictures constantly. iPhone to iphone will send the full quality of the image/video which will drain your data. 

disable these settings to help reduce your data consumption.

Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

@Yummy 

The issue is “the 75% message” that @moonbend is receiving....NOT iMessage......and @moonbend has  set up data properly to only allow iMessages on data ONLY. And when on wifi data is not used....that is as long as the OP does not have dead spots. Apple users have their preferences as do android users. iMessage when used amongst other Apple users  allows to text to a phone number and an email address. That then allows communication with non Mobile phone owners and OP may have other good reasons. Also the OP can receive and send texts amongst android users without making any changes  to settings.  And also with no wifi and no data can still text to another  Apple user by phone number only with no changes to settings. @moonbend I would go by what My Account says, reset your data counter when your new allotment of data happens, and see if your phone lists any other data usage by APP etc. Also consider turning DATA off altogether when at home, office or? when on wifi. That may help identify dead wifi spots if any. Then perhaps consider contacting a CSA about the message and the discrepancy vs what your My Account says. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It all depends how much you send and what you send in your iMessages. Also, even though you disable all the apps, system (iOS) is using data for some other things. Go to Settings - Cellular  and you will see there what is using and how much. However, if you haven't reset stats ever, it is cumulative and there is no setting to set for time frame. So, reset it and pay attention to data usage. You will see in 'System Services' under Messaging Services how much data iMessage is using, but 1GB sounds a lot. I do not recommend disabling iMessage as SMS are limited in many ways..

So, first make sure what is using your data then act based on that..

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@moonbend 

Just turn off iMessage system and have your phone just use SMS message system as normal.  Remember to keep your data on all the time, so it works.

Don't worry it won't use any data, but data has to be turned on though 😉.

Problem solved!

@moonbend 

iMessage will use up data if you are not connected to wifi. It will be free if connected to wifi.

Your data is updated on your account. 
I don’t believe there is a data counter on iPhones…only on Androids.

diamondjoeg

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with imessage.  Try using the app My Data Manager.  This will track how much iMessage will use in a month.  Keep an eye on how much data PM says you've used.  I imagine iMessage would be close to WhatsApp and for me Whatsapp barely uses 50mb in a month.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

iMessage is proprietary apple's app which in order to function has to have connection to internet.

If you have Data On all the time most likely iMess will use your data allowance.

Why don't you use 'normal' SMS app which uses mobile network?

Check data usage on your account at PM to better understand when and how much data is used.

moonbend

Hi, thank you, this is a good start!

however, I genuinely DO run out of data every month either way at some point, because I can no longer use iMessage. Does iMessage simply use too much data? (I have 1024 MB of data a month)

diamondjoeg

How are you being notified that you've run out of data?  My Android phone has a setting that I can watch my data and if I get close it'll warn me.  This is local to the phone.  The problem is it doesn't watch on a 30day plan.  It's a certain day of the month.  I use an app 'My Data Manager' that can accurately watch my data usage.  It also tracks what apps are using it up.  For awhile, something was triggering the local data manager that I was burning through data, but PM and my data manager app was not picking it up so I actually wasn't running out of data.  Hope this makes sense, because it sounds almost like what you're dealing with.

Need Help? Let's chat.