cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data plan for tablet?

ElizabethButt82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Public Mobile offer data add-ons for tablets?

10 REPLIES 10

ElizabethButt82

That bad huh? 

Shaw has their wide-area wifi thing. Comparatively slow bandwidth but comparatively large capacity, plus it's available all over the place.

Nation-wide carriers charge ridiculous rates for their preciously parsimonious cellular data provisions.

But there are other options in many areas, better options, especially around large cities.

For example, I pay Xplornet $20/month for 60GB of 5Mbps "mobile broadband" data, available (almost) everywhere across my city and adjacent cities. I apparently also get a VoIP phone number and an email address out of this deal (I don't even remember what they are, lol, but they might be useful features if I ever do stuff like Fongo and Hangouts).

I've seen mobile broadband, wireless, and cellular (3G/4G/LTE) options which advertise faster speeds (25Mbps to 100Mbps or more) and larger monthly capacities (up to 100GB or 500GB). For prices cheaper than anything I've ever seen the Big Three/Four offer. The catch is that these services are usually "local" - they lack coverage when you travel too far away - because their main marketing angle is offering "wireless home/work internet".

If you want cheap mobile data (and you don't need it everywhere else in Canada) then find out who and what local data providers are available in your area. Check their websites from time to time, keep an eye out for promos, it's not hard to score a fantastic deal if you're patient and persistent.

https://www.findinternet.ca/en/shop

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

@will13am 

Is the dog brand a new provider in Canada 😁😁

Fido (in Canada) = Rogers  😷

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am 

Is the dog brand a new provider in Canada 😁😁

ElizabethButt82

Thanks for the heads up on that. 

ElizabethButt82

Dog brand as in Fido? 

ElizabethButt82

That's too bad. Thanks for the response 👍 

@ElizabethButt82 wrote:

Others have already informed you that there are no specific tablet add-ons or plans, but assuming that you can get the APN settings set correctly (same as with phones) and the tablet is compatible with the network, you could use your tablet on Public Mobile. However, your active Public Mobile SIM card can only be used in one device at a time.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ElizabethButt82 , unfortunately Public Mobile doesn't have data plans for tablets.  Checks out the dog brand.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ElizabethButt82 wrote:

@ElizabethButt82 Unfortunately they do not. They used to have a 1GB LTE data plan but it disappeared sometime last year I think.

Need Help? Let's chat.