cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only plan

deraly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have a friend who is visiting Canada for 40 days, she needs only data. Can she buy a SIM card and just sign up for the $30 data only plan? She will have no phone number, is that correct? 

12 REPLIES 12

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@deraly She will have a phone number with all Public Mobile plans.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@deraly are you sure 1GB will be enough over the course of 40 days?  Hopefully she'll find WIFI spots most of the time.  1GB for someone not from here who'll probably use a lot of data to post pictures and videos, I don't think 1GB will be enough.  Better off paying a little more for 4 times as much data ($40 plan), and when there's just 10 days left switch over to the $10 talk/text plan and add $10 for 200MB.  I'm sure by the 30th day your friend will be able to limit the usage.

Any plan you establish will need to have a phone number associated with it.  Even the $30 data only plan.  Just won;t be able to make calls or texts with it.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hairbag1 This is incorrect. People can buy a data plan of 1GB under 4G LTE under 30 days cycle. 

rg1990
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey,

Your friend can purchase the SIM and sign up for the $30 data plan only. She will have a phone number that will be associated with the SIM, only thing - she will not be able to make calls or send text messages as that is not included in her plan. Hope this helps.

There are options in the plan builder for 30 or 90 day cycles, choosing no talk, no texts and a selection of data amount.

there were also 1 Full LTE speed and 1 3G speed ready made plans available.

Yes, no voice and text on data only packages unless using a VoIP style app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deraly wrote:

Hello,

I have a friend who is visiting Canada for 40 days, she needs only data. Can she buy a SIM card and just sign up for the $30 data only plan? She will have no phone number, is that correct? 

Data only plans are simply not worth it here. You *could* get data only in the BYO but the ready made plans are cheaper for that same quantity of data and you get other phone features with it.

There's still a phone number associated with a data only plan. You just can't call it (or out). Natch.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JackQuint  pm does have a data only plan, but I think the voice plan with data is slighty cheaper.

In the past I was able to get data only plan with fido by going to a reseller ie best buy mobile.  The sales person did it no prob. But you are correct you are supposed to have a primary line with them I believe.  It might depend on luck. 

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There really are no data only plans. If you use the PM Plan Builder off their site, she will still need to the $10/month plan and then buy the $30 add-on.

I've looked high and low for a data only plan for my needs and the ones that exist (eg. Fido/Koodo tablet pland) require an existing voice line already.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

No data only plan available without a plan. Cheapest plan with data is $25...comes with 500MB + 500MB's plus talk and text. You can buy an add-on...but it's $30 for 1GB.

Edit; I stand corrected. @Triguy has info about a data only plan that I did not know was available. Expensive but might work for you if you don't want talk / text. The $25 plan mentioned above still provides 1GB data plus talk and text.

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sure but they need to buy and activate a sim card.  That is an expensive option, data only.  better to buy $40 plan.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Yes, they can purchase a $30 data only plan for 1GB which is valid for 30 day period.  They could use wi-fi apps like Skype, Fongo, or Textnow to make calls or text.

Need Help? Let's chat.