cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data maxed out in front of my eyes while under my home WiFi

SPurvis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was sitting at my computer in my home, my phone was tapped into my Wi-Fi.  All of a sudden I got a text telling me that I'd used 95% of my allowed data.  Twenty-five minutes later I received a text that said I had used 100% of my data.  To repeat, this data was all incurred on my phone while I was using my residential Wi-Fi.

I'm confused & concerned.

2 REPLIES 2

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SPurvis  - best to confirm the texts are accurate by checking your overview section in your self serve account here:

esjliv_0-1601935725902.png

Go by whatever the data line says above on your account. If the line does not show up that normally means you used it all up for this cycle. If you have more than the messages you are receiving you can ignore those erroneous warnings.

Do you have settings set on your phone to warn you of certain limits? Perhaps it is your device telling you a reaching limit.

NOTE, even in wifi, data can get used up if you don't lock down all the background data usages in the apps and settings on a device level.

A good practice, would be, to turn of data altogether when in wifi areas to as not to use up data unknowingly.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SPurvis Hi by chance do you have Wi-Fi assist enabled on your phone ? Sometimes these texts are sent in error check in your self serve to see if you still have data left in your data and add on section 

Need Help? Let's chat.