cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

sprite
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't know why but I looked at my data usage and it says I've almost used 2 gig of data this month. I very rarely use 500m per month. I looked at the usage logs and compared it to my browser history and at most I looked at was 8 websites on 3 separate days (Jan 10,11,14)  Those three days were 1.6 gig alone. The one website I did use for each of those days was fast.com. I couldn't get over the speeds I'm getting now. I use adblocker for my browser. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? 

13 REPLIES 13

sprite

Same plan since joining. I do have some extra gigs waiting to be used up but I never thought doing a speed test would use that much. I found out last year that tethering uses a lot of data. Live and learn..

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sprite 

Oh.......I get it now. Just out of curiosity did you change plans or swap out your sim card recently? On occasion your account will randomly switch back to unthrottled 4G LTE data speeds. Suspending your account or changing plans can turn it back to throttled 4G LTE (3mbps) so enjoy it while it lasts but avoid those speed tests unless you have extra plan data on day 30 of your cycle and you can run a speed test before midnight eastern to test your data speed.

@softech wrote:

I just tested Fast.com

On my desktop.  A test took 1087 MB

on my phone,  a test used 450 MB

So, if you have ran it multiple times during the 3 days, it could have taken that much data.

(just tried Speedtest.net as well, it uses around the same data 430Mb or so

At least with speedtest.net, the amount that is used for one test varies greatly on the speed of the connection. You're spot on about new customers receiving full speeds for the first 48 hours after activation and after some plan changes.   Speedtest.net use signficantly more with faster connections, but also would use a lot less than 430MB with a slower connection. 

sprite

I have been with PM for almost 2 years. In the past whenever I ran fast.com the highest I could get was 3 mps. 

@sprite   If you just joined PM when you first test the speed, it could be running on true LTE speed.  PM don't cap the speed until couple days later

You should now get only 3Mpbs on LTE but could be as much as 12Mpbs on 3G (except 3G has higher latency).

sprite

The data usage numbers I did get were from the my account and not the  phone. I guess I wont be using fast.com anymore. I thought it was just a fluke the first time it said I was getting 129mps download when I ran it.  I'm suppose to be using the 3g network. Those numbers are consistent now I'm using LTE. Don't know how or why but I am loving the new speed. Thanks everyone for your time.      

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I just tested Fast.com

On my desktop.  A test took 1087 MB

on my phone,  a test used 450 MB

So, if you have ran it multiple times during the 3 days, it could have taken that much data.

(just tried Speedtest.net as well, it uses around the same data 430Mb or so

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Don't forget that some other system or background apps just love to use your data for updates and similar tasks.

What your PM accounts says - how much data you have used vs. what your phone measured?

You could restrict background data usage per app to lower impact on your data. Even though some OS nasty app will override it and still eat your data.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sprite   Fast.com uses 530mb per test. That's likely where your data went.

100mb download 

430mb upload

Screenshot_20220117-135926_Chrome.jpg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sprite wrote:

I don't know why but I looked at my data usage and it says I've almost used 2 gig of data this month. I very rarely use 500m per month. I looked at the usage logs and compared it to my browser history and at most I looked at was 8 websites on 3 separate days (Jan 10,11,14)  Those three days were 1.6 gig alone. The one website I did use for each of those days was fast.com. I couldn't get over the speeds I'm getting now. I use adblocker for my browser. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? 

@sprite Are you looking at your Overview section on your Self Serve account?

This would be the most accurate usage of your data.

It looks something like this:

esjliv_0-1601855734940.png

OR, are you looking at the usage on your phone?

This could be quite different if you do not have the start date the same as the start date of your plan.

Also, note in your phone there is Data usage and Wifi usage. Those can be easily mistaken for one another, but they are different.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sprite 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing speedtests can consume a lot of data in a hurry.

For new activations, the LTE is full speed. Then after a few days it will throttle down to about 3Mbps. Regulars around here might like calling it LTE-Lite. You could opt to use HSPA (3G) for data. That would be faster but you might see some latency.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sprite if you are doing speed tests that will eat up a lot of data.  Also remember the plans are 30 days so I wouldn't just look at your data you have used in January but all data you have used since your last renewal

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.