cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Notification

Archman2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife is on the $15 plan that comers with 250MB of data. She has never recieved the data usage notification at 75% or 95% when she uses up her data.  She does get other notifications when the monthly bill is paid.  Is this normal or is something wrong?

16 REPLIES 16

@Mimi33  Im not so sure pm can notify you when youre almost out of plan data when you have add on data. I would say its best to set your data warning on your phone where ever you feel comfortable having it on your plan data. 50% reset to 75% then 90%.....then you know when to curtail your data usage before you hit the data add ons during your cycle.

Mimi33
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just checked the link provided to (I think) send alerts to me when my data is getting low. It scares me to make all these changes to the "guts" of my phone. I do have some of the free add-on gift from December so I assume I am not going to get alerts on my 5s.  Is there another way to get these warning texts other than changing the 5 areas in the settings?  It was mentioned in this discussion that perhaps a moderator can find a solution for those that have unused add-ons in their account?

Archman2

Thanks all.

I did not realize the usage notifications include all the data including the gift add-ons. She does use the android data usage tracker.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Your best bet is to use the limits for data in data usage, works great and you can override it if you really badly need to use it.

Good practice is to limit the background data, disable updates without WiFi and don't allow WiFi assist or data assist I'm not sure the exact name, but that's when your phone used data that boosts weak WiFi signal. 

@kselmak wrote:

Hi @Archman2 

Does she still have some of her bonus/holiday gift add-on.

I never get the notification but I believe it's because though I used all of my monthly allowance I still didn't get to 75% or 95% of my data.

I may be wrong I just assumed that's the case

You are correct @kselmak , you won't get the warning texts if you have other data addons available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Archman2 wrote:

I checked and there are a few blocked numbers but none that look like a public mobile number which is usually 3 to 4 digits or a 10 digit number with strange area code.  Do you know what number public mobile uses for these Notifications? 

The frequent ones are 611 and 100. There are other 4 digit ones as well.

Archman2

I checked and there are a few blocked numbers but none that look like a public mobile number which is usually 3 to 4 digits or a 10 digit number with strange area code.  Do you know what number public mobile uses for these Notifications? 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Archman2 

Does she still have some of her bonus/holiday gift add-on.

I never get the notification but I believe it's because though I used all of my monthly allowance I still didn't get to 75% or 95% of my data.

I may be wrong I just assumed that's the case

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Archman2 wrote:

She has a Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) and she gets other text messages including from Public mobile.

Does she get the heads up and payment thank you texts? They're from 611. So're the notifications. And yes, they're at 75 and 95. If you have other data like the gift add-ons I suppose there's a possibility that a notification would not go out until _they're_ low. But I'm not certain.

@Archman2  I have heard that some users don't get particular text messages by random chance. Your wife can set a data warning limit on her phone to stay on top of it. You could always request the moderators look into it and enable the text messages to sent out.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Archman2 , the default data notifications are set at 75%, 95% and 100% consumption of your data allotments. But, supposedly, it's all preprogrammed into the system.

Did you know most smartphones have a pre-installed data manager application (click on this link to take you Android phones) that allows you to set cellular data usage notifications and data limits according to your Public Mobile expiry date?

Does she get sms messages? Ie from banks etc?

@Archman2 wrote:

She has a Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) and she gets other text messages including from Public mobile.

Archman2

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Archman2 wrote:

My wife is on the $15 plan that comers with 250MB of data. She has never recieved the data usage notification at 75% or 95% when she uses up her data.  She does get other notifications when the monthly bill is paid.  Is this normal or is something wrong?

@Archman2  Check the blocked numbers to make sure she hasn't added PM to the blocked number's list.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Archman2 The notification should come as a text message on the phone. What type and model phone does she have ?

@Archman2 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.