cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Not Working?

MissRiley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hello,

I recently joined Public Mobile and my data just hasn't worked even though the rest of my service is fine.

I have gone through some troubleshooting steps:
I made sure data was enabled.
I set up the APN as described in the forums here.
I power cycled following setting that up.
I tried deleting the APN and starting from scratch and power cycling again.
I tried flipping Wifi and Airplane mode on and off a few times to see if that made a difference.
I even factory reset my phone because it is an LG and I saw some folks with LG phones had to do this and the issue is still not resolved.
I definitely have data remaining because I registered a few days ago for a 90 day plan with 6gb of data and self serve confirms that and that I have used none of it.
Data has worked on the phone previously with my old carrier.
I did not port over my number, if that is relevant.
When I enable data my phone displays a 4G LTE icon at the top but doesn't indicate any activity.

The phone is a new and unlocked LG K7 that has not been having any technical issues aside from this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15

sawrie

When you have the data settings on choose autautomatically the phone doesn't connect with the data server, it wants you to choose only one server.

I had the same problem on virgin but not on freedom.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

so what was the exact issue?

sawrie

PROBLEM SOLVED... WHAT A PAIN.

Follow instructions on this page: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30613

sawrie

I have the exact same 330 k7 lg with the exact same problem... let's get this figured out.

JasonT1983

Try taking the sim out and restarting the phone. It worked for me after that.

Acekiller

I would definitely try to pop your sim card in another phone to check if it is sim card/ account issue.

@MissRiley You certainly have a conundrum. If you have not already done so, it is time to send a moderator a private message ( @Mary_M for example) with your phone number and an explanation. This is to ensure your account has be configured correctly.

While you are waiting, you try your SIM in another unlocked phone, and someone's SIM in yours, just in case it is in fact phone related.

Also, this comment from @s2scotty related to MMS settings is worth a look: 

"If you have multiple APNs listed, ONLY one, the PM one, should have the APN type "default".

Including "mms", as in, "default,mms" makes it clear TO THE PHONE to route MMS via this APN/carrier.  IT APPEARS CRITICAL THAT there are NO SPACES between the words and the commas (e.g. "default,<space>mms" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). A trailing space proved an issue on a phone (e.g. "default, mms<space>" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). Like "default", only the correct and active APN should include the "mms" tag.

*  Name: Mobile Internet

  APN: sp.mb.com

  Proxy: Unspecified

  Port: Unspecified

  Username: Unspecified

  Password: Unspecified

  Server: Unspecified

  MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

  MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

  MMS port: 80

  MCC: 302

  MNC: 220

  Authentication type: Unspecified

*  APN type: default,mms

*  APN roaming Protocol: IPv4

  Bearer: Unspecified

  MVNO type: GID

  MVNO value: 4D4F"

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MissRiley
@Luddite thank you for the checklist. I worked my way through it all the way to doing another factory reset and I still isn't working.

@Greg1
Yes, my apn is set to match the first link and my lte band is enabled as per the second link.

Greg1
Are these the APN settings you have:
https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1367_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_lg_k7.php

And LTE band is enabled as described here?:
(Not these APN settings, just the 2g/4g part)
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30613#steps3

@MissRiley OK Here is my long checklist for troubleshooting data. If you are still stuck it would be worth the effort to send a private message to any moderator to double check your account.

And a post with more detail on how to check your phone's specs for compatibility: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on...

DATA NOT WORKING CHECKLIST (apologies for being to lazy to remove the items you have tried)

- connects with wifi?

- cellular data turned on?

- confirm data is included in your plan and not used up

- if dual sim use LTE/3G slot

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles

- check network is not set to 2G; use auto, 3G, or LTE

- check for operating system updates

- APN settings correct Public Mobile 

- delete current APN, and re-enter settings

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- try sim in another phone and a good sim in your phone

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

MissRiley
Nope, looked into it. The as330 is 4G LTE compatible and my public mobile service is great on it except data. I checked the IMEI again and it ahold work on public mobile too.

Glad I looked it up!

MissRiley
@Luddite thanks! Sadly my model is not listed there. It is an as330. Probably the same as an ms330 though. I will check with a mod.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@MissRiley Look up your specific model on this website: http://willmyphonework.net. Several models of that phone are NOT compatible with Public Mobile and none are suitable for 4G/LTE. Robot Frustrated

LG K7 - Carrier FrequenciesCanada, Public Mobile

MS330 (MetroPCS USA)
ResultCarrier Network does not support 2G
Result850MHz, 1900MHz
ResultBand4-AWS, Band2-1900MHz
X210
ResultDevice not compatible
ResultDevice does not support 4G LTE bands
X210DS
Result850MHz
ResultDevice does not support 4G LTE bands
LS675 (Boost Mobile USA)
Result850MHz, 1900MHz
ResultDevice not compatible

Acekiller

hope you will have the issue fix soon, unfortunately it is one of those things that need to be fix by PM.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@MissRiley, sorry to hear you are having issues.  Have you logged into self serve to verify that there wasn't an error when you started your plan and making sure data was added.  Other than that the best thing to do is to contact a MOD by private message.  I will tag @Mary_M, you can send her a message by clicking on her name then on the send message button.  She will need your phone number and if you have your sim card number handy that helps as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.